SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Connector for Helm Mic (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/55560-connector-helm-mic.html)

jbondy 06-22-2009 09:38 AM

Connector for Helm Mic

We recently installed a Ray55 VHF and the RayMic remote microphone at the helm. The RayMic wire includes a socket for mounting on a bulkhead in the cockpit with the corresponding plug on the end of the RayMic's cord. Unfortunately, it's a plasticy POS. The socket has 10 pins (I believe) in a square recess. The plug on the cord has the corresponding females receptacles. There is a tab on the plug that is supposed to line up with a groove on one side of the square socket to assure proper alignment. The problem is that the plug makes contact with the pins before the tab/groove has confirmed proper alignment. My third attempt to plug the unit in resulted in three bent pins which then broke off when I attempted to straighten them. To make matters worse, the socket is plastic and is held in place by a plastic nut that fits over the whole assembly. Simply pushing the plug into the socket strips the nut and the socket falls back into locker whose sidewall is where I've installed the thing.

By contrast, my old Standard Horizon remote mic connector was made of metal, the plug and receptacle were round, but the alignment tab had to be correctly aligned before anything could touch the pins. It would have been very difficult to cause damage, as evidenced by how many years (and owners) it lasted.

I use the cockpit-based remote mic much more often than the base unit. I purchased the Raymarine gear because Practical Sailor rated the remote mic highly, apparently not paying attention to the connectors.

I'm anticipating a lack of response from Raymarine and expect to have to replace the plug and socket myself. My usual sources for such things, McMaster-Carr and Grainger, don't seem to have anything suitable. Any suggestions as to a source? Thoughts in general?

TIA

sailingdog 06-22-2009 03:02 PM

Try here.

negrini 06-23-2009 09:09 PM

Joel, my previous ICOM was a bit delicated too, but apparently used a more robust plastic, if compared to my actual RayMic. I got used to handle it delicatedly, afraid of benting pins. Anyway, I had problems of water/moisture intrusion even with the receptacle closed, that forces me to apply contact cleaners almost every week. Like you, rarely I use main station, so I'm considering to maintain RayMic permanentely mounted on cockpit, and would remove it only when docking in a strange area. Have yu fixed yours ? How frequently you remove it ?

WinterRiver 06-23-2009 10:02 PM

No advice, Joel, but I feel for you.

We had a similar problem with the mic plug on a radio in the cockpit. It unplugged regularly because it was placed just out of reach of the helm, and the pins bent when we plugged it back in. You know the story, soon the pins were completely broken and the mic no longer worked. :mad: Tough when you're calling bridges on the ICW. We're just going with a handheld vhf at the helm for now. There's another below if we need more power.

Thanks, SD, for the link. Now I know where to look for a good solution if we decide the handheld isn't doing the trick.

jbondy 06-24-2009 09:18 AM

Negrini, I remove it every time I leave the boat. I hadn't thought about permanent wiring. I could simply stow it in the cockpit locker. Simpler is better! Thanks.

SpanielMain 05-09-2011 01:08 PM

Socket to me, Mic (or, getting bent over a pin)

Joel, Did you ever find a Raymarine part or good substitute for the helm mike socket for a RayMic? We too have bent a pin, and I can't believe that we are the only ones to have done that, or that marine supply stores don't sell these like hotcakes. -Ken