Newbie Impressions of Radar overlay (Raymarine c80) without electronic compass, etc. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-06-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Newbie Impressions of Radar overlay (Raymarine c80) without electronic compass, etc.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to correct something that I had read, or been told, a couple of times.
I was told that you could not have radar overlay (over chartplotter map/gps) without buying some type of electronic compass, gyro compass, etc (or having one that comes with an autopilot). I was also told, when buying the 18" Raydome, that the GPS required the boat to be travelling at least 3 kts to give heading direction.

Anyway, connected the radar to my Raymarine C80 multifunction plotter and it works great, without the additional compass, etc.
Note: I am certain that it would work even better with one, as the radar targets would be centered more precisely over the islands, etc, if the boats heading was more quickly updated to the plotter. However, for my intended use, it works great as is. If I change headings quickly, the radar overlay is a bit off of the map, fo a couple of seconds, and then it is fine again. I generally sail in an area with lots of islands, and the radar overlay shows a pink radar cloud over each island on the plotter. Of course, other pink marks, where no islands are marked on the map, are possible boats, etc.

I found I did have to adjust the gain or tune, to filter out some false targets, from waves (winds 15 -20kts), but was still able to see the real targets. Of course, I need to read / learn alot more about these functions in order to get the most out of it. Auto mode worked most of the time, but did pick up to many false targets at times.

I can't comment, or compare my new radar to the digital or HD radar options out there, as my 1 year old plotter is sadly not capable of connecting to them (not happy with Raymarine or dealer for not telling me this at time of purchase).
Although the newer versions of radar may be superior, this one certainly seems to do what I need. You can of course, split the screens as well, so you can see the chart on one side, and the radar on the other, but to me the overlay screen is the cat's a$$!

Although we did travel more 4-6 kts most of the time, while sailing, the plotter / radar overlay also worked fine when trolling / fishing at 1-2kts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
You are correct in that the overlay works fine without a heading sensor. The C80 assumes that the direction you are heading is the head up direction. This can make the display a little off, and a little slow to correct for rapid changes. You will find that if you add a sensor or an autopilot to the system, the head up direction will correct quicker.
Old 07-07-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Furuno Radar/Chartplotter

Interesting that the Raymarine unit allows for overlay without the heading sensor whereas my Furuno unit installed 2 years ago does not.
Old 07-07-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
I have the C80 and enjoy the overlay display. Having the S1 Wheelpilot, I have an electronic compass, but haven't found that resolves all problems. When returning from a fireworks display last Saturday night, I was using the radar overlay function and the chart and radar did not match up. The radar was in heads-up mode (I was going basically North) while the chart was oriented -90 degrees. I had radar sync set to "on". When I went to a side by side display mode, the chart was still off by 90 degrees and showed me backing out of Hempstead Harbor! If I had been unsure of my position (and this did happen at night!), it would have been dangerous. It showed me heading into a breakwater when I was heading away from it. I also noticed my autopilot had my course off by 180 degrees. I turned off both the autopilot and the C80. I turned the C80 on first, then the autopilot. After doing this, everything got back to normal. I have no idea what caused this. Raymarine is so far mute on the issue.
Old 07-08-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
You'll find all those gadgets more useful on heavy seas, with a lot of move, or if you installed your antena too high. GPS updates, although slow and requiring some boat speed, will provide the heading info you need. The Gyro (if your autopilot have one) will provide boat acceleration info, so your image will look steadier. But that's all, I had it in both ways, and found it more accurate/faster just under severe sea conditions.The remaining 90% of time, I think gyro didn't add too much value for the charting (ok, improved the AP a lot !!!), and even MARPA shows target info with same errors I had before. I don't use overlay too much as I think the screen gets too poluted, and prefer the black background for my old eyes ....
Old 07-08-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One reason I think chart overlay is pretty good for newbies is that it gives you a way to tell what you're looking at more easily...Learning to interpret the radar image is a bit difficult at first for a lot of people. Being able to see the radar image and the underlying chart helps show how ATONs, land, etc will be represented and makes interpreting the radar image easier for the new user.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.