Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-08-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Most nav programs don't need rocket ship computers. They will run on old technology just as well as on the latest stuff. So anyone who buys a new notebook for a chartplotter is wasting money.

I buy old cheap notebooks ($150 each) when I can and friends who use them in business and "need the best" give me their old ones when they upgrade. I now have five fully functional notebooks loaded with exactly the same software and all are working 100%. And I have quality charts that cover the entire planet.

So when I go cruising (hopefully not too far away) I will take at least five notebooks (all except one will be vacuum packed) with me because they take little room to stow. When one stops working for ANY reason, it'll go in the bin and the next one will come out.

And by the way, the first one has now been functional inside my chart table with no additional cooling fans or other add-ons and has yet to miss a beat. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse so the only time the notebook is touched by human hand is when it is switched on. The display is a flat-screen built into the console and I plan on another on deck in the near future. That way the notebook lid stays closed when it's running.

To me notebooks as chart plotters are a no-brainer. There is a power issue with them but that is more easily solved that having a full range of cruising charts on a chart plotter. A spare power supply is a good idea but then most throw-away notebooks also have throw-away power supplies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2010

SaltyMonkey is on a distinguished road
Ok, so I have a question for you guys:

Want chartplotting, GPS, AIS, Radar, Weather, Speed, Depth, Wind, Autopilot.

What configuration would:

- Be networked.
- Allow me to view this in weather (cockpit)
- Allow me to have a secondary view at nav station.
- Be redundant.

Thinking:
- PC at nav station for occasional use and for downloading upgrades etc.
- Chartplotter in cockpit

Anyone want to take a shot at brands for the above components?
Old 06-08-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

- Be networked.
- Be redundant.

Thinking:

What size boat, what have you looked at so far? I'm pretty much a Garmin fan for most components. It would need to be a pretty spectacular product to get me to switch. One soft spot in their product line is in their selection of auto pilots. But for chartplotters, handhelds and transportables does anyone even come close to their selection?
Old 06-08-2010

SaltyMonkey is on a distinguished road
theoretically, we're talking 32 up to 40 ft.

All that could be done under RayMarine I believe, and using SeaTalk, but have reservations about going fully with Ray, and would rather build out with Garmin or a proper mix of vendors. Autopilot would be for backup/light air/engine work only, not for heavy weather or normal sailing. Monitor or Hydro for most self steering.
Old 06-09-2010

Personally I'd use Garmin on any size boat but for whatever reason my impression is that Raymarine is used more often on boats at the larger end of the scale. I'm guessing that that is at least partially attibutable to Raymaiine's prior dominance in the industry and the familiarity with their products by professional installers although I think the shift has been toward Garmin in the last few years, helped in part at least by Raymarines financial problems.

Given that you are working with a hypothetical boat, I'd just dig into Garmin's website, learn about their networking system, zero in on some potential equipment options and then get into the manuals on line that you think you would be interested in, assuming the real boat when it comes dosen't alrady have some of the equipment.
Old 07-25-2011

jimmoser is on a distinguished road
Many of these posts emphasize having paper charts as back up. My question is whether these paper charts are produced by the software used on the laptop, or are they from an independent supplier. In other words, are the charts solely for use if the electronics fails or are there issues with the charts produced by the software or is it both?
Old 07-25-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
I have used Bellingham chart printers for my paper charts, they sell portfolios for different parts of the world and are made from original charts. I use CMAP/Maxsea electronic charts and also the "Captain". depending on where we are the accuracy of both of these may be off. nI CMAP/MAXSEA shallow areas are shown as green spaces around the land some times out to 20m in depth. If I compare this with my paper chart say 1:100:000 or 1:50:000 then I see the shallow areas in greater detail, rocks reef, shoaling in detail.I like to have both paper and electronic. On our recent trip in the Philippines we relied much more on paper and enjoyed piloting with our MKII eyeballs on high alert. Love Garmin products, don't leave home without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-25-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

- Be networked.
- Be redundant.

Thinking:

Raymarine combo radar chartplotter with a repeater screen down below. Other wise just have 2 laptops. One sacrificial for the cockpit.....

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-26-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Or get one of those new-fangled thing with your radar, chartplotter, depth sounder, wind speed, log all on the same screen. You can select the one you want to see and enlarge it by just pushing one button.

Problem is you have to push the button with your toes because you will have chewed your finger-nails down to second knuckle waiting for the screen to stop being a screen.

I have often on this board said that notebooks in perfect condition and capable of running charting systems are being thrown in the dustbin all around us. I now have 5 that cost me nothing. No matter how good the raymagarmin is it ain't better than that.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoser View Post
Many of these posts emphasize having paper charts as back up. My question is whether these paper charts are produced by the software used on the laptop, or are they from an independent supplier. In other words, are the charts solely for use if the electronics fails or are there issues with the charts produced by the software or is it both?
In the US charts are updated by the government (NOAA). These first tier charts are used by providers/vendors of both electronic charts and repackaged paper charts such as Maptech. The second tier or second generation charts add another chance for errors to be introduced. If you use government charts you won't be getting any of the potential errors introduced during the conversion to an electronic format.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.