Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-17-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
TV stopped working

We put a new TV on our boat about 8 months ago and actually have used it very little, maybe 6 times in all. Today it stopped working. Just a click and TV gone. So . . .

The TV is an Akai with a 21" LCD screen and a built in DVD player. We bought it because the TV's in New Zealand are all 220v and I have 110v mains on my boat. This TV is dual voltage which meant that we could use it on the boat's supply.

The supply comes from a Xantrex Freedom 25 inverter and I suspect that may be my problem but then again maybe not. The Freedom inverter puts out a modified sine wave. Now I've heard tha some appliances don't like particular types of outputs, discriminating between square, sine and modified sine wave outputs.

The fact that I have an LCD on the computer on my chart table had me thinking that the modified sine was OK with LCD but then I realised that the inverter only powers a transformer which then provides 18.5v to the screen so the type of output from the inverter wouldn't be relevant to this LCD.

So do I have an inverter problem? Does the modified sine wave slaughter LCD? Or have I just got a dodgy TV? I am hoping that the supplier will replace the TV because it is still under warranty and they have no way of telling that it was running off an inverter (in fact they would probably be surprised to know that it can run on 110v at all!!). But it won't help me getting a new TV and then having the modified sine wave wipe it out a second time.

What should I expect from an LCD TV on a modified sine wave inverter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Omatake, we brought a Playstation 3 from NZ and used a trafo (analog convertion) to feed 220V from a 110V outlet. and the game's power supply burnt. Note that NZ not only uses 230-240V but 50Hz instead 60Hz, so your dual voltage should be also dual frequency.I had several TVs powered by mod sine, and never had a single problem before. I suspect some cheap unities are more sensitive than others. Btw, you're luck as I'm not the tv dealer you bought it
Old 10-17-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Is it plugged in?

Is there power at the receptical?

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 10-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
Is it plugged in?

Is there power at the receptical?
Heh, heh, heh.

Yes, I did check that. I have now got the TV at home and plugged it into 220v and it's still dead.

Negrini, I thought of the frequency but all the other dual voltage stuff (including notebooks, radios, shavers, etc.) seem to work just fine. Still, that's worth remembering. I also think your Playstation situation was a conversion from 110v to 220v whereas mine was not a conversion - the appliance is intended to be connected to 110v and it was. I'm pleased to hear that the modified sine wave isn't a problem. That's really the info I was after. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-17-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Andri...I'm pretty sure your large screen TV has an internal rectifier transformer in it as well so I would not suspect the modified sine wave to be the culprit....Id just exchange it and go for it.....Is there some posibility thisTV was your disgharge reading problum with your link?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-17-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Good, my actual LG22 runs perfectly out of a Xantrex 400W for a year now. I can't tell from your signature, are you Andri or Andre' ?
Old 10-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Andri...I'm pretty sure your large screen TV has an internal rectifier transformer in it as well so I would not suspect the modified sine wave to be the culprit....Id just exchange it and go for it.....Is there some posibility thisTV was your disgharge reading problum with your link?
Hey Still, no it's probably not, I switch everything off when I leave the boat including the inverter and the main switch so the only thing that is left working is the Link20.

Your'e probably correct about the screen running off a low voltage same as the computer screen but I'm not sure the fault is a dead screen. When it initially went off and we tried to re-start it, we could hear the DVD player initialising. Now there is nothing. I'll take it in today but the problem I have is that it was the last one of this type they had and dual voltage sets are not common. May be difficult to replace

Negrini, my name is Andre.

Thanks for the comments.

Arthur C. Clarke