Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-21-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Garmin GMI 10 System

Seriously considering this system for my next parting of boat bucks. My Datamarine Corinthian Series system appears to be on the way out.

The Garmin system is appealing because it will integrate with my Garmin Plotter, appears to be more non-Garmin component friendly and it appears more reliable and simple than Raymarine's Seatalk sytem.

Does anyone have one and what are their impressions so far?

Thanks.

DrB
Old 01-28-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I too am interested in hearing about this for the same reasons. I have used Garmin aviation products for many years and was very satisfied. I have thier GPSMAP 441 chartplotter and am very happy with it. I would like to combine all three of my instruments (wind, depth, H2O speed) into one display. This seems to be the way to do it.

Any thoughts?
________
Hot_In_Ohio

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2010
Oday 30 & Ranger 23

RecoveringRacer is on a distinguished road
The last version of Datamarine Corinthian instruments had very effective NMEA 0183 capabilities. I use them with my Garmin 3205 and 3006 networked chart plotters, with excellent results. They have the additional advantage of fitting right in those big round holes you already have, and also use the same depth and wind transducers. They usually need a newer model speed transducer. I can't use this post for commercial offerings, but I know of someone who has a stash of these.
Old 03-09-2010

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road
Have any of you folks taken the plunge with this system? I have some old Stowe equipment on an '88 C&C 30 MKII. I'm looking at the GMI 10 and integrating with the Garmin 541s. I'll also probably go the full distance and get a new VHF with AIS. That way I'll see the AIS targets on the Plotter.

My only concern is the longevity of the display unit. Ducers rarely fail but the LCD dislpay (while really cool) looks a bit tempermental.