Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-25-2009

agoodman is on a distinguished road
flat panels

I am thinking of installing a flat panel lcd with a built in dvd player on my boat this winter. I am wondering what feed back and models others have put in?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
agoodman,

I agonized over this for at least 4-months and this is the one to get.

Amazon.com: Toshiba 22LV610U 22-Inch 720p LCD TV with Built in DVD Player, Black: Electronics

Also available in 19"

Wayne
Old 11-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How big a panel are you looking at? If you're looking for a smaller one, try and find one that runs off of 12 VDC so that you can wire it into the boat's 12 VDC system and not require the inefficiency of an inverter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-25-2009

i was looking for 19" model. When looking at the toshiba they mentioned a volume issue. Have you had any issue with the 22" model? Also did you mount an antenna at the top of your mast?

Last edited by agoodman; 11-25-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoodman View Post
i... Have you had any issue with the 22" model? Also did you mount an antenna at the top of your mast?
No issue with the sound level at all. I can't imagine what that criticism is all about unless they were expecting the presence of sound that 40-50" televisions have. This is a relatively new issue (as is the 19") of this model (early '09) so the manufacturer may have boosted the amplification. In any event, it will fill a boat's saloon with sound at half throttle.

I'm not so sure that I'd chase after a DC HDTV. These LCD TV's have very low power requirements anyway, 60W. An inexpensive inverter - inefficiencies and all- will do no serious damage to your house banks unless you are into all night sessions. Five Hr of TV for ~ 25-35 Ah. More with the DVD, but who goes sailing to watch 5 Hr of TV anyway?

I built a UHF antenna that I hoist on the topping lift and get broadcast DTV signals if I use it at anchor (almost never). At the dock CATV is available.

Wayne
Old 11-25-2009

in the back of my mind i was thinking it is not that big of an area to fill with sound. But was surprised with the reviews talked about this. My boat is only 35 ft so the salon area is pretty compact. How did you make a UHF antenna?
Old 11-25-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
The mojority of below 26" LCDs use the low-cost TN film, wjth a significant poor angle. This is very easy to identify, go to a store and simply lower your head a few inches in front of the monitor and you will see the brightness of the entire display dim dramatically. It will definitely impact the places where you can mount it in your cabin. The only one I found so far is the Sharp Aquos 19" that uses different technology (IPS ?). I installed an LG22 near the ceiling and can only view the screen from half cabin away ....
Old 11-25-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I have 2 Insignia FS TVs' one 26" in the salon and a 19" w/dvd in the forward berth, got them at Best Buy really cheap, had them 2.5yrs now

Use a tilt & swivel wall mount if veiwing angle is a issue

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 11-25-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We got a 22 Inch Toshiba HDTV with built in DVD. Its very energy efficient as Wayne has stated using 25 ah for a football game or 35 for an average DVD so we run it off of an inverter. We got it for under 200 when Circuit city went kaput this year and were just looking for new Bose speakers at the time for the cabin. We never thought we would want A TV on the boat, but the offer was to go to beat. It also beats doing DVD movies on the old laptop. On our trip to New England last summer we found it Nice to watch some local weather as well as news once in a while.

We Mounted it on a Peerless articulating arm flat on the bulkhead so we can swing it out and tilt it to a good angle no matter where we want to see it, but it remains stowed flat against the wall when underway. My wife made a fax leather cover for it so it doesn't pick up unneeded dust.

Antennae is a Shakespeare TV one mounted on the pole on the stern above the radar. You can use very simple rabbit ears as we did in the beginning but this is so much easier. We Get 22 channnels...HD quality...on the Chesapeake on the Patapsco and as far south as West River.

Was nice to watch the Preakness rafted up with others this year.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-26-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoodman View Post
How did you make a UHF antenna?
Sent to you via e-mail

W