Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-26-2010

boatrips is on a distinguished road
A used single side band radio needed

WA6CCA

Bill:

I'm a new member of sailnet and would like to know where I can buy a used single side band radio plus all the trappings needed to complete the installation.

I have an Irwin 37 that I want to start cruising with in the fall starting from the Pacific Northwest and continuing down to Mexico, Costa Rica, through the Panama Canal, up to Florida then accross the Burmuda, Azores, the Med, the Canals of France and then up to the Black and Baltic Seas for now. The South Pacific looks pretty good after that, then to complete a circumnavigation.

Thank you,

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Jim,

Please send me a PM or email to bill at wdsg dot com

I may be able to help you

Bill
Old 06-27-2010

boatrips is on a distinguished road
Used SSB Installation

Bill:
Thanks, I'll contact you.
Jim
Old 08-08-2010

somf77 is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I'm new to this board but love the info available. Two quick questions (for now) 1. I saw a reply about the AT-120 with an icom 710. Is the 2 switchs mentioned the only thinks to check before install or are there switchs inside the transciever as well? 2. What is the process for proper licencing for the marine band? Maybe another thread or web site that details the process? Thanks so much for all the info...
Old 08-08-2010

somf77 is on a distinguished road
Already more questions. It turns out I am now the proud owner of an Icom AT-3 tuner. Will this tuner work with the ICOM 710? If so is there any switchs inside the tunner or transciever to make them compatable? Any downside to this tuner versus the newer AT130 or 140?
Old 10-03-2010

hooligan6a is on a distinguished road
Radio Teck, Would an Icom-718 be a good radio to use onboard?
Old 10-03-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by somf77 View Post
Already more questions. It turns out I am now the proud owner of an Icom AT-3 tuner. Will this tuner work with the ICOM 710? If so is there any switchs inside the tunner or transciever to make them compatable? Any downside to this tuner versus the newer AT130 or 140?
I have an 802. There is a setup function and sub menu to choose which tuner you have. The AT-3 should feature in this. If not, then an email to Icom to see if you choose the next one on the setup function.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2012

criswat is on a distinguished road
Post Re: SSB Installation

Hello..
I have gathered so much information regarding the SSB installation from your post. I am glad I visited here and come to know about it. I will look forward to it.

Last edited by DRFerron; 06-28-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Commercial links violate forum rules.
Old 04-01-2013

bobbylockes is on a distinguished road
Re: SSB Installation

Hi,

I acquired two secondhand icom m710s recently and 2 antenna tuners 130 and 130E to go with it.

I've got a problem with one of the m710s. It appears to be an older model as there is no alarm button and the modes possible are usb/lsb/am/f2k etc

The newer one has an alarm buttom and modes j3e/h3e/lsb etc ( but no am or usb).

j3e = usb

I've set them up on land to test them. I tuned the antenna tuners , set the frequency to 12000 Khz and 12100 Khz to transmit and receive (and vice versa), the mode is usb on the old one and j3e on the new one and it all worked, but for one thing...

when the older model (on usb mode) receives my transmission from the newer model (j3e mode) it makes my voice sound like donald duck or as if I'm speaking after inhaling helium. Digitzed and electronic as it were, as if from an 1980's sci-fi movie. However, when the newer one receives transmission from the older one there is no problem whatsover. crystal clear.

I've played around with the grounding of both radios (grounding to anything metal) but to no avail. I can't find anything on the internet regarding this problem, hence my post.

Does anyone know what is causing the helium/digitized/disney reception and how to fix it?

btw on am mode, the older one has no problem producing a normal sound when picking up commercial stations.

many thanks for any advice and help.

thanks!

Bobby
MultiQuote
Edit
Old 04-04-2013

Anhinga is on a distinguished road
forward power problem on ham radio

We are General licensed Amateur Hams with our first Marine HF radio on
our sailboat. We are not new to receiving, just the transmitting. Our Fort Myers ham club really doesn't have members that is helpful or knowledgeable with our installation on our sailboat. We are hoping to get advice from other sailors.

We have an IC-706MKIIG, my husband has set up our back stay of 33 ft for our HF antennae. We have a separate antennae for VHF/UHF transmission. He has layed out copper grounding strap through out the boat.

Here's our problem. We don't seem to have enough forward power, we
were thinking that we needed more grounding and we finally got a
forward power of 11 watts when trying to transmit on the 40 meter
band. How do we get enough forward power to light off the
intellituner? We tried to transmit to water way net but they could
not hear us.

Any advice, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We are located
in Fort Myers Beach, and planning a Bahamas trip in 3 weeks!

KK4MPC aboard Anhinga