Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009

mikeandrebecca is on a distinguished road
I am following this thread with great interest as we plan on installing a SSB on our cat in the spring. All the reading that I have done on the subject of grounding, and the conflicting opinions offered, has just left me confused.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Mike and Rebecca,

Very understandable (your confusion).

However, be advised that SSB installation can be painless and very effective on your catamaran. I've done several cats in the past year, including a Prout Snowgoose belonging to a Canadian couple from Toronto, and a much larger cat headed around the world.

I've used all the above-cited methods for grounding on various types of boats, all with good results. What to do on your boat depends very much on it's configuration and where you plan/need to install the radio. There's no best single solution which fits all.

Hang in there; have faith :-)

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 12-09-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2009

mikeandrebecca is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bill!

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Bill is correct as a lot of people tend to mystify ssb installations. It is very straight forward. Took me a weekend to do everything other than the antenna and that was only because I was doing it myself. I took my time to make sure I got it right. And because I went with the Icom M802, the modem install was an hour or so.
Old 12-31-2009
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
Curious for a response to a potential dumb question - here it goes.

I do have a SSB utilizing the backstay for the antenna. This boat is new to us which included our first SSB ICOM M7000.

I would like to move my RADAR Dome from the front of the mast to either a transom pole or backstay mount.

Have any suggestion on placement, how will it impact SSB performance, Can I operate both RADAR & SSB simultaneously or will RADAR need to be off.

BTW - very interesting discussion and great contribution to this forum.

Please advise
Old 12-31-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I too am interested in any issues mounting a radar on my backstay and using SSB.

my Backstay has already been set up as an antenna. The PO had SSB aboard.
Old 12-31-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of an alternative backstay aerial but wonder what do you need for insulation at either end. Would some kind nylon hook from a bungee do or will I need a ceramic "dogbone"

Also why do you specify insulated lifeline, would any old non insulated wire do? I am aware of the RF burn danger.
Old 01-01-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Dan and Tempest,

I much prefer the radar on a pole. My Furuno 1832 is mounted on a Kato pole some 9' above the deck. I selected this alternative after a great deal of research, and have been very happy with the results.

First, I wanted a radar which would discriminate well on objects relatively close to me (like buoys, dingys, other boats, pilings, etc.). A radar antenna mounted up high does better at longer distances, but sometimes misses things up close. Result: couldn't be happier. The combination of a pole mount and a true CRT green screen with a 24" radome picks up nearby things very well, including lobster pots and crab pots!!

Second, I researched the backstay alternative, but didn't like what I saw at the time. There were lots of reports of failures of the fittings, two of the most prominent manufacturers at the time were either going out of business or had serious problems, and I really didn't like the idea of hanging something on the backstay.

Re: interaction of the SSB and the radar, that's not a problem with the pole mount. I don't know for sure if it would/could be a problem with a backstay mount on a wire used for transmitting at HF frequencies, but it would make me nervous as you might just be too near a high voltage or high current point and cause some damage to the electronics inside the radome, or infuse enough RF into the radar cable to cause problems further downstream.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Bill
Old 01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I like the idea of an alternative backstay aerial but wonder what do you need for insulation at either end. Would some kind nylon hook from a bungee do or will I need a ceramic "dogbone"

Also why do you specify insulated lifeline, would any old non insulated wire do? I am aware of the RF burn danger.
The Dacron (polyester) halyard itself would be fine at the upper end, and a 2' length of Dacron at the lower end would serve well. I've rigged many this way with no problems.

Insulated s/s lifeline to my mind is preferable for two reasons:

(1) it's VERY STRONG and you can set it up tight, so it won't flop around in a seaway; and

(2) it's very resistant to the problems of the marine environment. Sure, you could use any kind of wire, but in my experience plain old wire ain't gonna last very long. I still remember my first attempt at a vertical dipole when in the USVI. Made it from #14 bare copper wire, stranded, which was fashionable among hams at the time. It lasted less than two weeks!! By contrast, my s/s alternative dipole is heading towards 19 years!

The "insulated" specification is partly theory partly experience. Insulated wire is a bit quieter on receive when it's raining or snowing or taking ocean spray.

Bill
Old 01-01-2010

RadioTeck is on a distinguished road
Yes, it all works. The frequiencies between radr and HS SSB is so far apart that it is extremly rare that the two interfere with each other. On my Peterson 46 I have a Raymarine dome on my mast and then a Furuno on my backstay. After 3 years and 30,000 miles and one of the radars on every night we never had any issues with the two interferring with each other. Plus I should say that I am a long time long-winded ham radio operator with an Icom 802 and use the KISS-SSB ground plane system and more than a few times a day on the Pactor for email and weather gribs. I put out a strong signal both voice and a full 150 watts out on CW (morse code) I never had any problems talking with a friend in New Mexico even when we were as far away as Fiji. My suggestion is just feel free to mount your radar dome where you want, and do a good installation and you'll be just fine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.