Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2010

Solitude225 is on a distinguished road
Google Nexus One phone

I just purchased Google Nexus One phone.
Uses google Android 2.1
Other Androind phone that have 2.0 can be updated in the next few days for free for these features.
GPS is now integrated into Google Maps.
Uses text and or voice commands for input and output in GPS , composing emails, composing text and sending.
I download 2 free apps for GPS that integrate thru Google maps

1. GPS status
2. RMAPS

Then I clicked on the icon for RMAPS.
Said find my location in a voice command.
In 2 seconds my street address appeared on the screen.
I now have back up GPS for my boat or car via using Google maps on a 3.7" screen.
I just zoomed in on Cuttyhunk and MV on my phone.
Saw everything in great detail.
Color Screen resolution is 400 x 800
I can mark a location at Menemsha or Oak Bluff in the app with Google maps of the island.
When I am sailing the phones GPS will keep me on my course to those points.
Still will use my 8" Raymarine GPS but good for backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2010

dnickers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Actually, according to Wikipedia (and what I seem to recall from elsewhere) "The iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS employ A-GPS". That's not quite a true GPS, though it's not triangulation either. However, A-GPS does not work if the phone is not talking to a tower (in fact, it needs to talk to a properly equipped/connected tower). As far as I understand, A-GPS (assisted gps) receives satellite signals directly to the device. However, rather than processing these signals on the device, it forwards them to the special network server which does the actual calculations and then returns the location back to the device. So the current iPhone 3G will not provide GPS functionality when not connected to the network, presumably.

(Interesting, I never tested that - will try later today)
I'm not sure why people are so confused about the iPhone's GPS.

It is TRUE GPS. It's also true that it is aGPS. a being 'assisted'. This actually makes it a better GPS in terms of locking a signal from satellites, than a handheld GPS, or one that does not have cell tower communication capabilities.

Brak is right in that the 'a' part of the aGPS won't work if there is no network, as the phone checks to see where to look in the sky and which satellites will be most appropriate for the region you are in.

However, it simply makes the phone find a fix faster. If there is not network availability, the GPS absolutely works as a dedicated GPS receiver, it just takes longer to get a fix...up to 10 minutes sometimes. The only thing that makes it inferior to any other GPS unit is the size and probably the type of antenna it uses. That being said, I can have the Navionics app on, in my cabin, with the companionway closed, and it's able to get a fix through the small windows out along the coast.

Most likely, the part about aGPS in phones (iPhone, Android, whatever) that is confusing is that the phone needs to have an application that has all the map data stored on the phone itself. Applications on the iPhone like the built in Google Maps, do not cache much if any data...which means you need a network connection to download the map tiles and if you don't have that connection, you will just be a pulsing blue dot on a grey background...just the same as you'd be if you didn't install a map pack on your Garmin. But marine applications like Navionics, or turn by turn driving apps like Tom Tom and Navigon contain all the map data, and need zero network connection to work.
Old 01-08-2010

dnickers is on a distinguished road
As far as mobile apps for marine navigation, I really like MotionX GPS for tracking routes. The units can be shown in nautical terms, and the app will cache a certain amount of map tiles. In fact the latest update allows one to select a zoom level min and max, pick a region, and it will do all the cache work for you in the background.

Great, but how about some nautical maps? I would LOVE to see them or someone else integrate NOAA charts into that app or an app as slick as MotionX. The Navionics app is good for looking at charts and it will tell you right where you are, but it seriously needs a UI refresh.
Old 01-17-2010
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Report from Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus1457 View Post
I will be taking my phone to Europe next month, where there is no Verizon-compatible service. I will check out the GPS behavior and get back with a report.
I am writing this from France. I took my ERIS (Android) phone for a walk today.
There is NO useful phone service here - all Europe runs on GSM and my phone is the Verizon version (CDMA) which is not compatible. I wanted to see how the GPS behaves without any usable cells to use as a crutch. It took a while (2 minutes?) to get a position (72deg different in longitude from its last known position ) and I got a credible position. Of course I had no maps for the area so it was not very useful.

This should be a warning to the poster who wants to use his phone as a backup GPS on the water. Be aware that if you are out of cell tower range and without WiFi, GoogleMaps will do you no good. You need to have charts loaded on the phone's storage.

So I don't have charts, but I am eating well. Life is full of tradeoffs
Old 01-21-2010

brother52 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=RainDog;554965]This used to be true, but due to JIT increases and language design factors, Java is now normally just as fast, or faster, than C languages.benchmarks[/url]

But not on Android, because it doesn't yet have JIT
Old 01-30-2010

BCRacer is on a distinguished road
Just finished my sailing app for my droid phone. It's called BC Racer (beer can racer) and you can find it at the android market. It's only for the droid so far. Check it out and let me know what you think. It's not so much for navigation as it is for 'round the cans' racing.
Old 02-18-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
[QUOTE=brother52;562295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
This used to be true, but due to JIT increases and language design factors, Java is now normally just as fast, or faster, than C languages.benchmarks[/url]

But not on Android, because it doesn't yet have JIT

My understanding is that a JIT compiler is in the works.

As for other solutions, I opened an "issue" on Google Codesite requesting the addition of a Nautical/Off Road mode and inclusion of Nautical charts. Maybe if we get enough people requesting it they'll take notice and start working on it. If so it would be a step in the right direction.
NOTE: Make sure you vote (star) it. The more stars the high on the priority list it goes.

I've also talked with the developer of OpenCPN and there might be something coming from that angle.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--

Last edited by ckgreenman; 02-18-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2010

markcj is on a distinguished road
Commercial Post removed- Jeff_H, SailNet Moderator

Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-28-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Commercial Post removed-
Old 05-28-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
FYI for those interested.

Navionics Android app - Woohoo

Currently there are 10 regions available.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 05-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey CK - how do you like the droid? I have the iPhone and like it - but I don't like the Apple clamp-down on so many innovative technologies.

Also - can you post the link to the app here?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.