Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-28-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Love it. My wife wants one too Actually a coworker got the HTC Droid Incredible and I'm thinking I like that one better. If you're already on AT&T then there are other Android based phones but none that run the newer 2.x OS. Basically the top android phones right now are the Moto Droid and HTC Droid Incredible (Verizon) and the Nexus One (T-Mobile). There are Android 1.5 based phones on Sprint (Moment) and AT&T (Back Flip) though.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Cool - thanks dude.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-28-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
np

BTW I checked and apparently the Backflip is upgradable to Android 2.1

Don't know about 2.2 though.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 05-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey - you had any big sails lately CK?

And how about setting up a GR course in your area? Let's race dude! In addition to putting our boats and skillz to the test - we can see who's phone rocks more on the GPS front!

Old 05-28-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

Had a couple actually:

Race #3 err #4

Was so busy on that one I didn't get a chance to take any photos.

Then there was this one:

Race #5

Not HUGE sails but a blast nonetheless.

Can you jog my memory please? GR Course?????

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 05-28-2010
Last Man Standing

Cool - I'll take a look.

The BFS-GR (Global Regatta) is a crazy idea I came up with here in the Racing forum - and was picked up by a few guys around here that like to try to go fast:

Global Big Freakin' Regatta. Possible?

Basically, you create a 5nm Short Course or 10nm Long Course on your body of water using 3 GPS points. Then you go out (either alone or with others) and race around that course when ever you want, as often as you want, trying to get the best time in your class for that course for the season. Then at the end of the year we compare the best times from all the like courses and see who's the fastest in the class IN THE WORLD!

The cool thing is that it's kind of an underground thing. The course is obviously only visible via GPS so you can be racing and no one will know it...except your fellow GR competitors.

Here are the courses and rules that we all came up with via the above SN thread:

GR Rules and Courses

It's pretty damn cool.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-28-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2010

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Love it. My wife wants one too Actually a coworker got the HTC Droid Incredible and I'm thinking I like that one better. If you're already on AT&T then there are other Android based phones but none that run the newer 2.x OS. Basically the top android phones right now are the Moto Droid and HTC Droid Incredible (Verizon) and the Nexus One (T-Mobile). There are Android 1.5 based phones on Sprint (Moment) and AT&T (Back Flip) though.
I have a HTC Incredible. The signal quality / reception is really crappy. Other than that flaw it's a great phone. I'm thinking of returning the phone and going back to Sprint. Here's a thread on HTC's site about it....

Poor Signal/Reception - Major Issue - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Android Forums - HTC Community
Old 05-28-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

Really?? My coworker says it's way better than the blackberry he had on Sprint and jsut as good as his wife's Moto Droid. Must be an issue with the network in your area or something. I've been nothing but happy with my Droid though.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 05-28-2010

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
No it's not my area. There are tons of people all over the place with this problem. It could be a bad batch of phones, but I've already gotten 1 replacement. Verizon extended my "30 day Worry Free Guarantee" while we wait for a fix.

Google this - htc incredible reception

Last edited by SteveInMD; 05-28-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

Interesting. Could very well be a bad batch. FYI, My coworker's wife ended up taking HER Droid back and upgraded to the Incredible too. Both are happy with them. Definitely something to be wary of though.

BTW, Kinda OT but what is the max MicroSD size the Incredible can use? I'd heard 32GB but someone also mentioned they heard 16GB.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--