Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-30-2010

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
hi

i'm sure there will be a slew of reviews forthcoming, but just wanted to add my initial impressions of the navionics android app.

i have a Motorola Milestone (same as the US Droid) and just downloaded the Navionics B.C. App. It is really outstanding.

my wife has the iphone app, which is fine. without question the droid app is easier to download, easier to use, and has better screen resolution/nicer appearance (function of the milestone/droid screen, not the app, i suppose). my initial impressions are that its quite good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Good to know. Thanks for the review.

I'll reserve my judgement until I'm able to download the Inland Lakes maps

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 06-01-2010

standardhuman is on a distinguished road
I've looked around quite a bit and can't seem to find where to download or Navionics app for Android. Nothing in the market or from the Navionics site. Where did you find yours?

Thank you,
Brian
Old 06-01-2010

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
hi

if you're interested, i put a bunch of screen pics up on a different thread:

Android Navionics App Pics and comments

its on the android market - searching "navionics" brings up a bunch of apps including BC, US east coast, Great Lakes, Caribbean & central americal, US Central, US west, etc. I have BC and Caribbean/Central America, i.e.:

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

i know the android market is slightly different in Canada, but i think we get all the same apps as the US - i find it hard to believe we can buy something you cant - usually its the other way around - although the prices are listed in euros, so maybe.

if so, i'm sure they're forthcoming shortly - they include a lot of maps (i.e. the whole of the caribbean or the whole of the BC coast or all of the great lakes) in the single purchase, i.e.:

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 06-02-2010

Out of curiosity, what version of Android are you using? I updated to 2.2 (Froyo) and I know some apps are missing from the market because the devs haven't updated their apps to match Froyo's fingerprint.

I'm pretty sure folks in the US have installed Navionics for Android...hopefully it's just a matter of Navionics updating their apps.
Old 06-02-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
I see the apps and I'm on 2.1. If you're running Froyo you should see it I would only expect older OS versions to not.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 06-04-2010

Argle- Thanks for all the nice pics and responses.

As it turns out, Google has not updated the app market to recognize phones running Froyo as having a valid "fingerprint" that is needed to access copy-protected apps such as those by Navionics. Apparently this happens with each new OS update, the market being updated to recognize the new OS fingerprint within a few days of the official release. I manually updated my Nexus and so am likely ahead of the official timeline for the market update.

The "missing apps" syndrome for new OS version users is apparently well known, as I have learned. There are workarounds for anyone else experiencing this issue. A search for "missing apps" in the xda forums will bring it right up.

-brian
Old 06-04-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

Good to know. I've never run into it because I basically run a hacked OS. Being hacked, I get the latest features earlier than most though the OS still shows the original version. By the time the NEW OS is hacked and released the issue seems to have been fixed.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--
Old 06-09-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread, even if it did go off topic a bit here and there. I wish I had seen it a few months ago.

I have been a developer and designer for more than 20 years, started in C, then C++ and then Java. My expertise is in OO design, not performance, but these days, Java competes quite well in performance against native C/C++. Of course the real performance pureists will even bash C++ and insist upon C, but then again you don't see them going to hand coded assembly.

I also grabbed a Moto Droid the first day it was out. I'm lucky, I was unable to get a Storm even weeks after it was released, and that worked out well, since android is so much better. In particular, the display on my Moto Droid can't be beat.

I saw an Incredible the other day and was impressed with it and its 1GHz Snapdragon CPU. I'll watch for the signal issues to be resolved.

I think I'll have a look at BC Racer... I have a full set of nexus instruments on my boat, but for $4.00 or whatever it might be fun to play with.

Old 06-30-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

jarcher.

From the little bit I've actually used BC Racer, it's a pretty cool app. I especially like the start mode since it gives you a good idea of your ETA to the starting line based on your current speed and course.

I also downloaded and installed the Navionics app, Lakes: US East. For the most part, I'm impressed. The data provided in the app is pretty good although some of the contact information is a little outdated. The app does have a few quirks and I've notified the developers of the problems I've found. Some of the things I noticed are that it doesn't provide any type of night mode. Most Android based phones (that aren't hacked anyway) aren't able to dim the screen to a point where the bright colors of the app won't interfere with one's night vision. Another annoying shortcoming is that the app doesn't provide a means to keep the display on. If you don't manually disable your screen timeout (which isn't possible using the regular settings) then the phone display will shut off on it's own. Something else that makes it a little difficult to use is that the font sizes for depth contours and features is a bit too small for my liking and isn't adjustable.

The good news is that's it's fairly cheap considering what you get. Depending on the region it costs 10-20 euros and is does work fairly well. They've already released an update so it should only get better.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

--