SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Raymarine.....would you buy them now? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/60771-raymarine-would-you-buy-them-now.html)

degreeoff 12-23-2009 08:48 AM

Raymarine.....would you buy them now?

Hello, I have been window shopping for the X-5 autopilot and ST-60 sailing package for a while mainly due to price! I wonder if I should buy a set now @ $2400 for both or should scrap the idea considering they are about to tank as a company?

I currently have the OE equip Datamarine goods on my C-30 and a autohelm 4000 wheel pilot. Would you reccomend a changeout for newer or repair what I have AKA a working AH 4000 and working DM except the wind which tells speed but no direction (I understand these are rebuildable).

I want the slim new look to the Raymarine and the coupling of wind+autopilot too

Thanks

Josh

Capnblu 12-23-2009 02:16 PM

We were just about to outfit our cruising boat with a full suite of raymarine,... but there is no way we are going to lay out that kind of money for a product whose stock lost 70% last weekend. I can't imagine what they would have to do or say that would make me change my mind.

ericroline 12-24-2009 09:43 AM

I have Raymarine/ Raytheon instruments, autopilot on both my CAl 9.2 and Santana525. I've had to return the St50 speed for not working when it got cold, ~35f and it was repaired out of warranty for free(yrs ago). Service is an issue that should be considered, replacement parts also if service is not available. I checked the yahoo site to find out what was happening, Raymarine appears to be debt ladened, broke off talks with Garman, stock price fell, a little rebound today. When the economy tanked, they tanked and their stock did not recover. I hope that they will be able to restructure and continue, I like their products. In the mean time, I'l shop for extra instruments to have spares on hand....

ericroline 12-24-2009 11:37 AM

I have Raymarine/ Raytheon instruments, autopilot on both my CAl 9.2 and Santana525. I've had to return the St50 speed for not working when it got cold, ~35f and it was repaired out of warranty for free(yrs ago). Service is an issue that should be considered, replacement parts also if service is not available. I checked the yahoo site to find out what was happening, Raymarine appears to be debt ladened, broke off talks with Garman, stock price fell, a little rebound today. When the economy tanked, they tanked and their stock did not recover. I hope that they will be able to restructure and continue, I like their products. In the mean time, I'l shop for extra instruments to have spares on hand....

degreeoff 12-24-2009 12:45 PM

I guess one of my concerns is wether or not the product will last for 5 or so years? I will sell the ole gal by then and just dont want to be stuck with inop irrepairable parts.....

bakerha51 01-10-2010 10:13 PM

My concern as well - as I am in the market for new cockpit instruments. Depth, speed, chartplotter and an autopilot. But I don't see any complete options out there unless you have many $1k's to spend. Is Garmin really becoming a major player where Ray has dominated? Would it be wise to build a system around Raymarine or Garmin or look elsewhere?

MARC2012 01-11-2010 04:51 AM

I have a garmin gps that interfaces well with ray. pilot.Think almost anything reasonable new talks to each other.Furno used to be real choosy.marc

TheThrill 03-22-2010 11:09 PM

I think hand held chart plotters are the way to go. No chance of lightning damage, and the garmins have held up well for me.

sailingdog 03-23-2010 10:26 AM

Handhelds are just as prone to lightning damage UNLESS you happen to store it in a closed oven or pressure cooker during the lightning storm. :rolleyes: Just cause it isn't connected to the 12 VDC electrical system doesn't mean that lightning can't fry it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheThrill (Post 584031)
I think hand held chart plotters are the way to go. No chance of lightning damage, and the garmins have held up well for me.

TheThrill 03-23-2010 06:57 PM

I agree they can get fried in a hit, but I was thinking about the boats that get a side-shock from a nearby strike at the dock and loose everything that's wired in, leaving only their hand held undamaged.