Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-08-2010

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Calling all geeks!! Charting software help.

So a few years ago I spent a few hundred dollars on a NDI charting package. It has all the Pacific charts for Canada. I used it lots on a computer that I just had to wipe and rebuild. I called CHS for a new activation code and they have told me that because the charts are outdated (2006) they are no longer safe and cant be reregistered. Are you kidding me. Is Vancouver no longer where it was? So does anyone know how to hack this program. It came with maptech software that I really liked and can't even acess that for use with my FREE US charts. Damn you CHS damn you. Seriously I think I paid about four hundred bucks for what is now a coaster.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPrairieRose View Post
So a few years ago I spent a few hundred dollars on a NDI charting package. It has all the Pacific charts for Canada. I used it lots on a computer that I just had to wipe and rebuild. I called CHS for a new activation code and they have told me that because the charts are outdated (2006) they are no longer safe and cant be reregistered. Are you kidding me. Is Vancouver no longer where it was? So does anyone know how to hack this program. It came with maptech software that I really liked and can't even acess that for use with my FREE US charts. Damn you CHS damn you. Seriously I think I paid about four hundred bucks for what is now a coaster.
I'd push back on that, seriously. Call them and tell them that they are denying you the use of the product that you've already paid for, that they 1) figure out how to fix it (like free upgrade or figure out the licensing problem or whatever), 2) give you your money back, or 3) prepare to spend 400$us getting toilet paper and plastic Walmart bags out of their trees next Halloween.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2010

I like the cut of your jib sir. My god would I love to TP these guys. The NOAA has it right, you pay taxes, taxes fund charts, charts are free. 20 to 30 dollars per chart here in Canada. WTF!
Old 01-08-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPrairieRose View Post
So does anyone know how to hack this program.
You probably know this but you are asking someone to perform an illegal act, you are also doing it in a public forum... As a software developer in the past I take a bit of offense to someone stealing the work of another person, there is no reason to justify doing it.

If you are upset with the product you bought then deal with the software developer, don't look for someone to hack the program. If you read the Terms of Use Policy you might find it is against those terms to modify the program.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Last edited by krozet; 01-08-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
You probably know this but you are asking someone to perform an illegal act, you are also doing it in a public forum... As a software developer in the past I take a bit of offense to someone stealing the work of another person, there is no reason to justify doing it.

If you are upset with the product you bought then deal with the software developer, don't look for someone to hack the program. If you read the Terms of Use Policy you might find it is against those terms to modify the program.
I understand your concern here but let me be clear that I paid for a sealed package from an authorized dealer, I installed and registered the software and charts, and had to wipe and rebuild my computer. Upon doing so I have been told that because the charts are out of date and could be unsafe, that I would have to buy new charts. I am not stealing intellectual property, I have not taken this product from a friend. If my computer did not have a meltdown I would still be navigating with these charts so it is I who take great offense to being told that three year old charts are too old and that I need to reinvest hundreds of dollars for software I already have the rights to. It is not my intention to take anything I am not entitled to. But I do appreciate your concern. It does seem offensive to me that people are so casual about taking intellectual property and believing it to be a victimless crime. I try to be a little bit pirate, but not in that way.
Old 01-08-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
SV.. you have learned an expensive lesson (imho) I'd bet this prob your having was designed in by the seller. hope you have some success with them.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
What kind of charts are these (i.e. in what format)?
Old 01-08-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Ah, I see - some proprietary raster format. No luck there.

As someone who develops a navigation software package, I'd like to note that:
1) If a user contacts me telling me they reinstalled their system and need a replacement license code, I send one to them. They paid for the right to use the application and that right had no time limit on it. (Admittedlyt, If a user will contact me for a new code once a week, I'll probably get a little bit suspicious)

2) User has a right to use the charts he paid for for as long as he wants. Your paper chart does not disintegrate and neither should electronic matter. There should be some notification to the fact that it is older than a specific period, but that's the extent of it. Whether it is legal or not, it is completely unethical to restrict access to properly purchased media.

That's my personal opinion, worth all of the money you paid for it

That said, this is why it is important to use charts in open formats, rather than proprietary ones - then no one can restrict your use of the media your honestly paid for.
Old 01-08-2010

Thats the thing I love about CHS, there are no open source charts!!!!
Old 01-08-2010

Just found this response in my inbox. Not worth 400 bucks for the laugh? Not to me but you guys may get a kick out of it.
Hello Mr. Landa,

The Canadian Hydrographic Service has discontinued support for any NDI digitalocean CDs. The reason for this is because the last NDI CD produced was in 2007, Under the Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, mariners are expected to use the most recent edition of the chart in respect of the area to be navigated, for safety reasons, due to the constantly changing nature of the marine environment, outdated versions of the digital chart products should NOT be used for navigational purposes.

You can upgrade to the newest 2010 CHS Digital Chart CDs for 1/2 the cost of the older NDI digitalocean CDs. To obtain a CHS CD you can find a dealer near you from the following link:

Canadian Hydrographic Service

Thank you for your understanding,

CHS Digital Chart Support

Thank you for your interest in CHS Digital Charts. For the latest news and information on Canadian Hydrographic Service products, visit us at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Nous vous remercions de l'intérêt que vous portez à Cartes marines électroniques du SHC. Allez à Welcome Page | Page d'accueil pour obtenir les plus récentes informations sur les produits du Service hydrographique du Canada.