SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Navman 3100 series display replacement (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/61227-navman-3100-series-display-replacement.html)

DoomDahDoomDoom 01-12-2010 11:40 AM

Navman 3100 series display replacement

Unfortunately, my sailboat came equipped with Navman 3100 series electronics. They were less than 5 years old when I got the boat in spring of '08 and the displays were already starting to go. By the end of the '09 season, both my Multi 3100 and Wind 3100 displays were completely useless.

I've read articles from many other frustrated owners of these products - these displays just don't seem to have been built with outdoor use in mind. I've also been told that the company that bought Navman (Northstar I guess) sells new replacement displays that are compatible.

My question is, has anybody on here tried the replacements and do they last? In other words, is it worth my ~$1000 to buy these replacement displays or should I bite the bullet and replace everything with with Raymarine (paying about double that amount and involving the work of replacing all that hardware)?

DoomDahDoomDoom 05-31-2011 01:18 PM

I realize my original post is old, but wanted to update because I found an inexpensive fix.

A helpful fellow sailor posted this video:

YouTube - ‪Repairing Navman 3100 sailing instrument Display‬‏

Basically do exactly what he says.

It took me three attempts before I found a surplus LCD screen that had a large enough connector to do the job. Still, total cost was $25 to fix two instruments that would have been more like $1,000 to replace.

svManatee 05-24-2012 11:06 AM

Re: Navman 3100 series display replacement

To avoid your frustrating experience trying to find a panel meter with the right size elastomeric connector could you please give some identifying details of the one you found with the right size so that I might fix my Navman 3100 multi display.
Ed

DoomDahDoomDoom 05-28-2012 01:30 PM

The bigger the better. I found mine in a bin at the electronics surplus store. About an inch wide by six inches long. I cut it down from there.

I'm pretty sure I got double what I needed and saved a whole second piece. Send me your address and I'll mail it to you.

svManatee 05-29-2012 12:59 PM

I am too new to this site to have private reply message rights so if you would contact me at svmanatee@gmail.com i'll be able to pass my personal address etc.

nodders 05-31-2012 03:39 PM

I have a similar problem with the Danavigate electronics that came with my boat. I know they work, but the displays are pretty much shot. An easy fix would be great! Replacing the electronics is not in the cards this year after paying for prop and shaft repairs:mad: