Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-14-2010
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
garmin chartplotters- what charts included?

I have a friend looking for an inexpensive chartplotter. I have a Garmin GPS Map 172c. That came with no built-in charts, and you purchase (unlock) whatever charts you want from a CD and load them into the unit.
I'm looking at the lower-priced Garmins- the 420, 421, etc. They say they come with preloaded "worldwide" basemaps, but what does this mean? Will they have detailed Great Lakes charts built-in, or must these be purchased separately? I have studied the Garmin site and vendors sites, but just can't tell.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Garmin's new chartplotter naming convention tells you what charts are loaded. For instance x4y series chartplotters have the US Coastal charts pre-loaded, where the x3y series chartplotters will be identical but have the inland waters charts pre-loaded.

So a 540s will have a 5" screen with the US coastal water charts and the optional sounder. The 430 will have a 4" screen with the US Inland Charts and no sounder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
As SD mentioned, the maps preloaded by Garmin vary from unit to unit. In my experience with at least three Garmins is that the lower end units have basemaps that are not very detailed. The detail is similar to what comes on the basic MapSource software. They usually include nautical aids (lights, buoys, etc.) but the on screen detail is very limited. Garmin Bluecharts, Bluecharts G2, G2 Vision charts are quite detailed.

Old 01-15-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I bought a GPSMAP 441 this summer. I found the coastal maps to be plenty detailed, at least for the upper Chesapeake. The nav aids are great, the bottom contuors seem to be accurate according to my depth sounder and the NOAA charts. Even the POI images are decent. I am happy with them. I see them as at least as good as NOAA charts. I really do not need much more than that.
________
Buy Glass Pipes

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Please note that the 441 that Nick is talking about is NOT using the Garmin basemaps, but came preloaded with the US Coastal water charts as noted in the x4y unit designation.

The global basemaps are not really suitable for anything but emergencies. They do not have any depth information in them and the coastlines represented are very low-resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
I bought a GPSMAP 441 this summer. I found the coastal maps to be plenty detailed, at least for the upper Chesapeake. The nav aids are great, the bottom contuors seem to be accurate according to my depth sounder and the NOAA charts. Even the POI images are decent. I am happy with them. I see them as at least as good as NOAA charts. I really do not need much more than that.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.