Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
AIS Class B

I'd like to know how many of you out there have experience with the new AIS Class B system and what your experiences have been. Specifically how many of the smaller commercial boats seem to use AIS, especially the fishing, crabbing types.

I'm considering in investing in a system but worry that a lot of the smaller boats won't show up.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2010
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
I have yet to see a fishing boat use AIS and I have traveled all the way from Boston to the Caribbean this fall/winter. I think that htey like to stay off the record and keep their secret fishing holes - secret.

On the other hand, it's a great addition and I recommend getting AIS.
Old 02-15-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen too many Class B AIS systems broadcasting, but I have seen enough Class A ships to be very happy that I have a transceiver!

Old 02-15-2010
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
I had an AIS receiver installed in Sequitur during her initial commissioning three years ago. We loved it. It gave us great peace of mind to know where the big stuff was, and where it was going. This is valuable in coastal BC with all the ferries, tugs, bulk carriers and container ships.

Just before we sailed away over the horizon last year, with transponders having become more affordable, I had a Raymarine Class B unit installed. This uses our VHF antenna 22 metres up the mast, and allows us to pick-up and track ships out to 75 miles, and sometimes more. More importantly, it allows the ships to see us.

Night watches on ocean passages are now much more relaxing than I ever remembered them, or dreamed possible. With the AIS and the radar assisting with the watchkeeping, and with their computers doing the rel-vel calculations for us, we can sit back and relax, waiting for our kitchen timer to remind us to scan the horizon and the instruments.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 02-17-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Answering part of my own question

More research on the subject turned up the following info concerning new rule making.....

"The U.S. Coast Guard has proposed adding thousands of commercial vessels to the vessel Automatic Identification System (AIS) and the Requirements for Notices of Arrival and Departure (NOAD). It's part of a continuing program to enhance waterway security, oversight and operational safety.

The proposed new rules would apply to all vessels in U.S. inland and offshore navigable waters, including almost all vessels previously exempted from the present AIS requirements.

The Coast Guard estimates the new rules would result in about 17,500 new AIS installations. Those vessels include 298 cargo ships, 748 industrial ships, 553 offshore vessels, 97 research vessels and 122 tank ships in the category of self-propelled vessels 65 feet or longer engaged in commercial service.

New AIS installations will be required on 4,560 vessels 26 feet or longer of more than 600 hp engaged in commercial towing and on 5,520 fishing vessels. It would be required on dredges or floating plants in or near a commercial channel or shipping fairway, and self-propelled vessels carrying or engaged in the movement of certain dangerous cargoes.

Passenger-vessel requirements for on-board AIS now at 150 persons or greater capacity would be reduced to 50 persons or greater. AIS would be required on vessels capable of speeds in excess of 30 knots and carrying 12 persons or more. Those rule changes would affect 3,235 vessels."

"With these new rules we are going back to what we intended to do in 2003," said Jorge Arroyo, AIS regulatory project officer with the Coast Guard. He said the original AIS regulations were introduced in July 2003 as part of the Marine Transportation Safety Act of 2002 in response to post-9/11 maritime security concerns. Those original proposed regulations were modified at that time to accommodate the "claims of severe economic impact ... and fishermen concerns about the secrecy of their fishing grounds."

The above information was taken from the Professional Mariner web site and the entire article is available at Extension of AIS requirement would affect thousands of vessels | Articles & Archives | Archives | Professional Mariner, Journal of the Maritime Industry, Maritime Industry News

When and if this goes into effect it will certainly increase the value of a system.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?