Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-16-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
Will the Lowrance 520C display ... ?

I already have this chartplotter/fishfinder display for my fishing boat. I would like, in the interest of saving money, to be able to use it on my sailboat as well. I am getting my electronics to the point where everything will be available on NMEA 2000. I am getting a DST800 (NMEA-2000 Depth-Speed-Temperature Transducer) and am getting a Brookhouse Seatalk-NMEA 0183 and Actisense NMEA 0183-NMEA 2000 in order to get my ST60 Wind Instrument data onto NMEA 2000. Also, I will get GPS data onto NMEA 2000 with an Airmar G2183 GPS antenna.

I will not be connecting a fishfinder depth transducer to the Lowrance (which will not allow me to use the sonar feature).

My question is, this chartplotter supports NMEA 2000 ... will it display depth only figure from the NMEA 2000 transducer (even though I won't have a proprietary fishfinder transducer connected)? Will it display wind instrumentation data if it is available on the NMEA 2000? ... Or, can I only expect it to display data from the Lowrance set of NMEA 2000 devices (tank levels, temperature probe, fuel flow)?
Old 02-16-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
At the risk of stating the obvious, I think manufacturer would be a better source on this.

In general NMEA2000 is a set of "messages" and what message types (PGNs) are supported by each device is quite individual. It might be listed in your documentation, but rather than comparing numbers it may be easier to ask Lowrance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
I know what NMEA 2000 is ... the documentation does not list supported messages. I was asking in case someone had specific knowledge. It's more likely than getting a straight answer from a company about a discontinued product.
Old 02-17-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
ask who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraph View Post
I know what NMEA 2000 is ... the documentation does not list supported messages. I was asking in case someone had specific knowledge. It's more likely than getting a straight answer from a company about a discontinued product.
Asking Lowrance anything is almost impossible. As an owner of a GlobalMap7200C I have tried to find them in regards to displaying AIS data but they hide very well. I did find someone there about 18 months ago that answered a question for me. I hope I saved that old email but haven't found it yet. If I do I'll be sure to report it here for us all.

Best of luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook