Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-17-2010

scud is on a distinguished road
Where to install your bulky SSB radio???

I own a bulky and heavvy ICOM 710 and I've been planning for almost one year on installing it on my 40-footer but my resolution has always derailed when facing the weight and cumbersome dimensions of the unit.

So here I am hoping in some guidance from you guys or some pics of your own installation.

Thanks

Scud
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I have an Icom 801 and it is installed at the Nav Station, there is room behind the panelling there for the bulky unit. The At500 antenna tuner (another bulky device) is in a deep lazarette locker close to the antenna itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2010

Nice rig Zanshin. Am I wrong but I had the impression that all IC 802s feature a remote panel and the unit can be stowed anywhere? Is it yours like that? Also have you experienced any RF interfierence issues with the rest of your nav instruments?

Scud
Old 02-17-2010

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
Nice rig Zanshin. Am I wrong but I had the impression that all IC 802s feature a remote panel and the unit can be stowed anywhere? Is it yours like that? Also have you experienced any RF interfierence issues with the rest of your nav instruments?

Scud
One of the benefits of the M802 is that it has the remote control head which was easy to install. I mounted my tranceiver inside a storage compartment out of the way and very secure. The only problem I have had with RFI was with my Fusion Ipod player. But I found a way to take care of that as well.
Old 02-17-2010

The base unit is indeed separate and it is mounted directly underneath the control head - but there is lots of room there for the unit, but the wiring that was done is hideous.

Old 02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The base unit is indeed separate and it is mounted directly underneath the control head - but there is lots of room there for the unit, but the wiring that was done is hideous.
Exactly my concern... an hideous wiring even assuming I have enough room behind the panel. But the damn thing is also very heavvy too. I regret not having thrown a little more money into it to buy a unit with a remote panel as windward54 just described. Damn!

Scud
Old 02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
Exactly my concern... an hideous wiring even assuming I have enough room behind the panel. But the damn thing is also very heavvy too. I regret not having thrown a little more money into it to buy a unit with a remote panel as windward54 just described. Damn!

Scud
That was one of the reasons I went with the M802. It was a lot easier to install, did Ham frequencies easier and was a breeze to hook up the Pactor Modem to for e-mail.
Old 02-17-2010

The wiring was badly done and wasn't due to the limited space; just shoddy workmanship. I went in there to install my AIS a couple of months ago and found, to my surprise, a faxtory installed VHF splitter with an active power supply going directly to the battery bank. Not only did I not know it was there, but it wasn't fused and was always on. Next time I go onto the boat the PACTOR is getting installed - hopefully that will be a simple matter.

Old 02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The wiring was badly done and wasn't due to the limited space; just shoddy workmanship. I went in there to install my AIS a couple of months ago and found, to my surprise, a faxtory installed VHF splitter with an active power supply going directly to the battery bank. Not only did I not know it was there, but it wasn't fused and was always on. Next time I go onto the boat the PACTOR is getting installed - hopefully that will be a simple matter.

The Pactor modem will be a easy install. As I recall, there are only two control cables to connect. The Pactor modem will get power through the radio, so even though there is a power connector, you won't have to connect this one up if you are using an Icom 801/802.

There is also a connection for NMEA-in. This is if you want to use the GPS location with your e-mail software. Just be aware that if you are using Airmail2000, with Windows 7 or Vista, using the GPS line from the modem, your radio will hang in the Remote when the Airmail2000 disconnects. there is a bug in the software that is being worked on. Simple fix; just turn your radio off. When you turn it back on, the radio will be back in the manual mode.

I pigtailed my M802, VHF and modem to the same NMEA line, and all works fine.