Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2010
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Eolon - Thanks for explaining the technology. I will be interested to hear from Rotrax and he tests this product so please keep in touch and let us know! Bartvdv is so right; we don't want to test an unproven and expensive technology that uses up many boat bucks! So if Rotrax could give us details about his boat and installation as well as how it did over a period of time, I'm sure that the group would be very interested!

Tod
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Hiscock wrote in one of his cruising books that you can acheive similar results by leaving a radio playing loudly into your bilge at all times. If you play the Disney channel it just may work.
Old 02-27-2010

rotrax is on a distinguished road
Smile Ultrasonic antifouling

Hi,I will be sure to give results on the forum but a seasons testing will mean April 2011.Our Royal Marines are using it and have been for some time.If it is half as good as the brochure says it will be a result! I wont get into disscusion about Mao but will give another bit of philosophy"There are none so sanctimonius as reformed reprobates".Best regards Rotrax.P.S. check out [url=http://www.ultrasonic-antifouling.com]

Last edited by rotrax; 02-27-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2010

Joates is on a distinguished road
Rotrax - any early thoughts? I was hoping this was going to stop me getting it to scrub before each race. And rethink antifouling.
Wonder what it does to dolphins.
Can you hear it?
Apparently they can scan up and down frequencies thus killing more algae.
Old 01-18-2011

mwashburn is on a distinguished road
More on ultrasonic algae control

Hi Everyone,
I actually came here as I was doing research on ultrasound use for anti fouling on boats and it's been interesting in following this conversation.

First I wanted to share my personal experience with these devices. I'm not involved with boats but I do work in controlling algae blooms in ponds and industrial applications like cooling towers, waste water, etc.

Ultrasound has now developed to the point where it will control most algae types very well...not all of it but probably anywhere from 70 to 100% depending on the species. In industry it works best by controlling biofilm, which may apply to boats too. We have to start with a clean surface but once this is done and ultrasound is applied, it works pretty well. The tricky part in these settings and I think boats would be the same, is figuring out how to mount it in such a way where it can get a clean shot at most of the hull area.

So all in all, I see no reason why this shouldn't work for boats. I don't know about vendors for boating applications (we don't do that, nor am I intending to make this into a commercial post) but I've found for our customers that it's best to offer them a 3 month trial so it will either work or it won't. It's on a rental basis and if it works, they can pay off the unit, and if not, send it back without any additional fees. I think this would be worthwhile for any serious supplier of the boating industry so it's something worth checking on. For what it's worth we have about a 70 to 80% stick rate where the trials are purchased so that's pretty good overall in my opinion.

Anyway, if someone should have any questions that I can answer, I'm happy to do that, but again, I'll only discuss the technology and my experiences with the it. I've not talked about any advertising or commercial intent with the owner of this forum and I intend to respect their policies in regards to those things.

Thanks much,
Mark Washburn
Old 01-18-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mark, are any of your applications concerned with preventing growth on the OUTside of objects that are immersed in open salt water? As opposed to, keeping the inside of tanks and pipes clean?

And just how many transducers do you typically use to pump how many watts or kilowatts into what volume? I suspect that the power limits on recreational vessels (shore power need not apply) and the "abyss" of the sea, filled with more critters all the time, may be key differences.
Old 01-18-2011

mwashburn is on a distinguished road
Sailor...in a round about way I would say yes...for instance if an aerator system is in the middle of the pond, it will often be clean or keep the side facing the ultrasound cleaner in some cases. Physical structures will block or diminish the sound waves so you ideally want a pretty clear line of site to the area needing control.

There are transducers, at least for our use that will work up to 100 feet (that's the small one) and the larger units will reach out about 600 feet. Keep in mind range is dependent not only on the power of the device but the algae type. Single cell algae ranges are much larger (up to about 3 times) what I've quoted above.

So as you noted in the case of the sea environment, who know's what a boat may run into and have attached to it...it's beyond my realm of expertise. My main point on commenting on this topic was simply to say that yes, from my experience I've seen ultrasound work, sometimes exceptionally well in pond applications.

Also, although ultrasound is not new technology, using it for our purposes is somewhat new. I think it's use in pond algae control goes about maybe 10 years or so and some pretty good advancements have been made just in the last few years with tighter control of frequencies, among other things. Even with this, there are algae that just have a structure that's hard to damage and in those cases, we have to try something else. But in terms of biofilm, I can say it's worked well, and if biofilm is one of the main ways that some creature would attach itself to a boat hull, then I would be optimistic about the application. It will be interesting to see if some testing can be done and documented clearly as to the results.

All the best,
Mark
Old 06-25-2013

galena is on a distinguished road
Re: Ultrasonic Hull Protections

Gladrags: Please drop me a line in regards to the ultrasonic antifouling system.
Old 01-27-2014
Bert

Bert van den Berg is on a distinguished road
Re: Ultrasonic Hull Protections

If ultrasonic energy could help prevent fouling then I would assume that the depth sounder transducer on my boat would be less prone to growth than the areas away from the transducer... but it does not seem to have less growth.

Regards,

Bert