Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-18-2010

labestia is on a distinguished road
Adding a 50A AC inlet to a boat with two 30A

My boat has two 30A AC power inlets on the stern. Iíll like to install a single 50A AC inlet inn the anchor locker at the bow; is this possible? Can I bring in a single inlet from the bow when the boat originally has two on the stern?

La Bestia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Why?
You can buy a 50amp to twin 30 amp Y cord for around $200.
If you do decide to go this route, pick up a 50 amp cord to see how much it weighs before you commit.

BTW, There are 2 different 50 amp plugs. Make sure you get the right one whatever you do.
Old 02-18-2010

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road
what is your purpose for this? 2 30 amp cords is more versatile and a 50 amp cord is very heavy/expensive. there are various 50 outlets, 125v, 125/250v. and 250V. As stated above you can purchase a Y adapter for your two 30amp cords. what happens when you go to a marina with only a single 30 amp outlet for you to use if you have a 50 cord? stick with the 30 amp cords, you better off.
Old 02-19-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Running the cable from the anchor locker to the main panel aft is not a good idea. ABYC requires the main AC breaker be within 10' of the shorepower inlet. The Y cable looks like a better idea.
Old 02-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, you could. Is it wise? No, probably not. As stated previously, ABYC standards require the main shorepower panel to be within 10' of the inlet.

Get a Y-adapter pigtail and a longer 50 amp cable if you really must use a 50 amp shorepower setup. Again, having two 30 amp inlets means that you can often power at least some of the boat using a 30 amp shorepower post, with a single 50 amp inlet, you don't really have that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labestia View Post
My boat has two 30A AC power inlets on the stern. Iíll like to install a single 50A AC inlet inn the anchor locker at the bow; is this possible? Can I bring in a single inlet from the bow when the boat originally has two on the stern?

La Bestia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-19-2010

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
2 x 30 amp cable are easier to handle and store than a single 50 amp, I would recommend 30 amp extension cables to your existing connections. It will also be a more cost effective solution.
Old 02-19-2010

labestia is on a distinguished road
I'll like to do this since my boat goes into the slip bow first and the electric panel at the dock is only 5' from the bow and not 50' away at the transom. I have limited space at the anchor locker for two 30A inlets and thus think that one 50A with a 2 to 1 Y conector at the anchor locker will be a good idea. I'll still be using the two 30A cables but just 5' of them and not 50'...

Old 02-19-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Turn your boat around in the slip and don't change anything :-)

Seriously, consider this. The addition of a new 50A inlet some 30-40' from your onboard electrical panel is not a trivial undertaking, especially not if you want to do it properly and not risk insurance liability.

Consider this:

- 50A cords and connectors are unbelievably expensive
- 50A cords are very heavy
- 50A to two 30A splitters can be very dangerous, because EACH 30A line can be run up to/past 50A without the dockside CPD tripping
- you'd need to install costly transfer switches near the panel and adequate CPD protection near the anchor locker

Don't get me wrong, I'm a 50A lover. But, IMHO, not in this case.

Bill
Old 02-19-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I do not see why you could not put in a 50a service and still be abyc.

I have not checked the chart, but measure the distance from the install to the main buss on the panel. My best guess is a 8 gauge, but it may be 10 ga. Use good, tinned, marine grade wire. Do not use anything solid (your home depot variety).

You could put a 50 amp breaker at the locker. It would need to be done such that it is dry and secure. You would also need a 50amp receiver. If it were me, I would run that to a "Shore-off-gen" type of switch where my 30 amp service went into one side and my 50 amp went into another. This would prevent you from ever being able to have both a 30 amp and 50 amp on at the same time. Then I would run it to another 50 (or maybe 40 as I like to step down some) amp switch on my panel, then feed it off to the rest of my 30 amp service from there - going through my 30 amp breakers.

I have not researched this and I am not a marine electrician, but that is some general thoughts on the matter. I really do not see where it is any different than pulling a generator service.

My opinions.

Brian

PS I have found the 50 amp cords amd connectors much more robust than 30's. I have had two 30's burn up on my boat, and have had others that I have seen. I have yet to see a 50 burn up. I did a thread on this a while back.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: