Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2010

scud is on a distinguished road
ICOM AT130 tuner

I have a question on the fly.
I bought this AT130 tuner on ebay and looking at the antenna slug there is a short wire (maybe gauge 15 but not insulated like the GTO15) which is connected to the tuner's antenna slug and at the other end it's got a crimped eye connector. The antenna slug is very well insulated (a very professional job with sealing TPE resin). I'm puzzled and here is the question...
Do all the AT130 tuners come like that from the factory?

That short wire of thin cable scarcely insulated makes me uncomfortable also.

Since I have you here I ask another one... for a rope antenna like the Rope Antennas, Single Side Band antennas for Sail boats, powerboats, SSB antennas can I use simple GTO15 wire inserted into the core of the halyard or would it be better a RG-58 coax (obviously connecting just the mesh to the tuner and leaving the core disconnected)? The GTO15 is well insulated but the center core is very thin in my mind.

Thank you
Scud
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
When I bought a 130 tuner many years ago, it did not come with any type of feedline or wire connected to the antenna post.

Any insulated wire will suffice as a feedline to an unbalanced antenna, however, the GTO is preferable because it is so well insulated.

Coax is fine as well regardless of the type. Marine transceivers only output 150 watts which is well within the capacity of even small coax. The loss at VHF is high but for a short run of feedline, it is insignificant. Note you should use the center conductor, not the outer braid.
Old 04-13-2010

AdventuresI is on a distinguished road
The AT-130 is designed for a long wire aerial such as a back stay insulated at the top and bottom from the boat (you can get fittings to go through the deck) but beware the insulator on the tuner is there for a reason at HF frequencies nasty RF burns can be the result of touching the aerial or its feeder during transmitting.
If you dont have the manual it can be down loaded free of cost from the ICOM web site.
There are two golden rules for this tuner an RF earth is essential you need to ensure it exists and use the longest possible aerial length (an inverted v can be an option).
Its a good bit of kit provided the RF ground is present dont rely on battery negative.
Old 04-14-2010

scud is on a distinguished road
Thank you.
Actually for theantenna feed line I was leaning more toward a tinned copper braid (insulated) of about 1/4".

The question about the RG-58 was more aimed to duplicate a rope antenna rather then to the feedline from the tuner to the antenna.
If I used the center wire of the RG-58 I fear that the outer mesh can shield the signal. Electric charges travel on the outside surface of any conductor so I thought that the outer mesh having more surface extension was more appropriate as a radiating element.

What do you think? Am I really pissing out of the bowl?

Scud
Old 04-14-2010

AdventuresI is on a distinguished road
Use a stranded single core insulated wire, cross sectional area is entirly to taste and required strength.

I have also sent a private message that has a bit more details in.