Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-17-2010

mikemcesinclair is on a distinguished road
Raymarine interface

We were struck by lightening en route to Ecuador. This knocked out my ST60 wind and since then I have had no NMEA out put from the 85001 interface. I have tried a new interface with no success. The green light for the Seatalk input lights up but not the NMEA light. Any advice welcome as we head west soon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2010

redline is on a distinguished road
Can you display wind data on any other instruments on the SeaTalk bus? It could be the Wind instrument that is no longer providing the data (some SeaTalk stuff seems to be a bit fragile wrt their drivers - I've had one instrument in a chain of 6 die, only to be told it "must have been a voltage surge" - which none of the other heads experienced.
If your AP or a Multi can display wind, then the info is on the bus. You could try isolating (removing) one instrument at a time. If you have no other ST instruments, look for pulses on the SeaTalk line from the ST60 Wind.
Old 04-19-2010

mikemcesinclair is on a distinguished road
I have ST wind depth log multi and autohelm and C80 chartplotter. All are working and the C80 feeds NMEA to my VHF. What I cannot get is NMEA out of my interface to my laptop and also a Furuno Navtex. The Seatalk seems OK and I get agreen light for it but not for NMEA. Any ideas?
Old 04-27-2010

Any chance it's the laptop serial port (or USB serial adapter, as the case may be) that died?

You should be able to use the C80 NMEA output to drive both the VHF and the laptop. If your VHF is not using the C80's NMEA input, the laptop could use both in & out and the VHF the C80 out only. You will just have to set the laptop, C80, and VHF to the same bit rate (probably 4800). This assumes that both the VHF and the laptop have (or don't object to having) a common ground for serial data, which is usually the case.

That could at least test that the laptop is still reading serial in correctly.
Old 05-01-2010

Mike, to add to my previous, I did some testing test at my boat today, you may be aware of this but on my unit the NMEA LED only lights when data is being INPUT to the interface on the NMEA port. Under normal (for me) conditions, with incoming SeaTalk data being sent out the NMEA port, only the SeaTalk LED is lit.
If I send a single NMEA sentence to the unit, the NMEA LED lights for a few seconds, then goes out if no further NMEA data arrives.
So your LED indications could be normal, and the problem elsewhere, such as in the device which is supposed to receive the NMEA. Or might the polarity have been switched when the unit was swapped?