Thanks, Wayne. I just did that. Shouldn't have to, but..... :-(
Anyway, here's the link: Basic12VDC
It shows a bare-bones schematic for a 12VDC system design which will work for many boats.
The basic premise is that:
1. There's a separate house bank (any size) and a start battery;
2. ALL charging sources (charger, alternator, solar panels, wind generator, other generator, etc.) go directly to the HOUSE battery bank, thru appropriate regulators and fuses, of course; and
3. The start battery is automatically maintained with an EchoCharge or DuoCharge device.
Clean, simple, effective.
Note that charging sources are not shown in the diagram.
Note further that there are two switches:
(1) an ON/OFF switch on the start battery circuit; and
(2) a 1-2-BOTH-OFF switch which is normally left in the #1 position, linking the house bank to the house load. Only reason to ever change to #2 position would be if the start battery died and you wanted to start the engine from the house bank. Or, less likely, if the house bank died and you wanted to run the house load from the start battery.