Raymarine ST4000+ question ... - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
  #1  
Old 04-19-2010
MSN2Travelers's Avatar
Badger Sailor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 176
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 8
MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Question Raymarine ST4000+ question ...

I have no previous experience with autopilots.
I’m looking at a boat that has a 1999 era Raymarine ST-4000+ autopilot (wheel pilot) installed. The owner removed part of the wheel drive and has it stored in the lazarette.





The broker said the owner felt the wheel was binding/dragging and took it out. It looks like all the wheels `n such are intact and the wheel drive unit could be put back together.

The control head display was blank when I powered up with the rest of the instruments. The broker thinks the owner may have disconnected power to the control head at the same time he disassembled the wheel drive.

Assume the wheel drive unit is put back together and connected again, what is “normal” when the instrument cluster is powered up? The manual says “When switched on, the ST4000 will be in `standby’ mode.” I can’t find a switch and the manual doesn’t really say anything about what should be displayed on the control head when it is powered up.
__________________
Paul
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 04-19-2010
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,627
Thanks: 68
Thanked 187 Times in 179 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The two halves should snap together with a bit of pressure. Be sure to have the clutch disengaged and carefully feed the belt onto the inside rim. The lip on the outer case will have to 'snap' over the roller edges. Depending on how often this has been done, you may need to support the drive unit somehow if the snap fit is not as tight as original. These units will not stand up well to frequent removal and reinstallation.

There should be a cable hanging somewhere to connect the drive unit motor, and ordinarily the autopilot has a switch on your panel somewhere or is switched with all your other instruments. If it's wired up hot then pressing the power button on the head should bring it up.

Sounds like you've got a bit of a treasure hunt on your hands as far as tracing wires etc to figure out what's been done (or undone! )

Good luck.
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 04-19-2010
CaptKermie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Greater Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 433
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 8
CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Good unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers View Post
I have no previous experience with autopilots.
I’m looking at a boat that has a 1999 era Raymarine ST-4000+ autopilot (wheel pilot) installed. The owner removed part of the wheel drive and has it stored in the lazarette.

The broker said the owner felt the wheel was binding/dragging and took it out. It looks like all the wheels `n such are intact and the wheel drive unit could be put back together.

The control head display was blank when I powered up with the rest of the instruments. The broker thinks the owner may have disconnected power to the control head at the same time he disassembled the wheel drive.

Assume the wheel drive unit is put back together and connected again, what is “normal” when the instrument cluster is powered up? The manual says “When switched on, the ST4000 will be in `standby’ mode.” I can’t find a switch and the manual doesn’t really say anything about what should be displayed on the control head when it is powered up.
It sounds like you are contradicting yourself in the last paragraph. I have that model on my boat and am quite satisfied with it. I think I bought it in 2006 so it is not that old but it is dis-continued today. It does sometimes drag a bit and you have to flush it with water to keep it from binding from time to time but it is still a good unit. Whenever I power it on it comes up on "Standby" every time. The main control box needs to have power going to it and it then in turn powers the other components. You'll have to hunt through all the cables and make sure everything is connected and then try again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 04-20-2010
MSN2Travelers's Avatar
Badger Sailor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 176
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 8
MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
It sounds like you are contradicting yourself in the last paragraph. I have that model on my boat and am quite satisfied with it. I think I bought it in 2006 so it is not that old but it is dis-continued today. It does sometimes drag a bit and you have to flush it with water to keep it from binding from time to time but it is still a good unit. Whenever I power it on it comes up on "Standby" every time. The main control box needs to have power going to it and it then in turn powers the other components. You'll have to hunt through all the cables and make sure everything is connected and then try again.
Kermie, all the instruments at the helm displayed something, when powered up at the distribution panel, except the autopilot control head. I'm trying to find out what the "normal" configuration would be for this autopilot and what to see on the display when power is applied. I don't own the boat so I wasn't about to pull panels at the helm to see if the control head was still connected.
I’m trying to figure out if I’m too stupid to find an on/off switch at the control head or the owner disconnected the control head from the instrument circuit. If normal, on power up, is a is a display that says “standby” then the unit is either disconnected or dead.
__________________
Paul
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 04-20-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
Posts: 462
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 8
tweitz is on a distinguished road
On mine its hotwired, and when the circuit breaker is on it goes right into standby without a switch. Mine is also 2006 and has been trouble free.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 04-20-2010
CaptKermie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Greater Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 433
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 8
CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
On mine its hotwired, and when the circuit breaker is on it goes right into standby without a switch. Mine is also 2006 and has been trouble free.
I guess you can call mine "hotwired" too, since there was no on/off switch I just hotwired it directly to the 'instruments' button on my circuit breaker panel thereby creating an on/off switch. As soon as I push the circuit breaker button the Autohelm control head comes on in "Standby" mode

I would try finding the wires for the control panel on the back of the unit and follow them to the ends and see if/where they are connected. There will be several sets, one going to the steering mechanism, another to the fluxgate compass, and another going to the rudder sensor setup, and they all look the same, so it may be prudent to see that they are all hooked up. If I recall I think the back of the control unit is labelled where each component is to be wired so it should not be too hard to see which ones are connected to it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 04-20-2010
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,627
Thanks: 68
Thanked 187 Times in 179 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
There are definitely some wires off somewhere, or you've actually missed a switch. The unit should also absolutely start up in "Standby" mode. If the display is blank then the device is either turned off (at control head) or not powered up.
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 04-21-2010
MSN2Travelers's Avatar
Badger Sailor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 176
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 8
MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for you input. We agreed on price yesterday and are under contract. Survey & sea trial to follow in the next two weeks.

Now that the boat is kinda mine, I may pull a panel or two and see what wiring is/is not connected.

1999 Beneteau 352, a step up from our MacGregor for Great Lakes cruising.
__________________
Paul
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 04-21-2010
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,627
Thanks: 68
Thanked 187 Times in 179 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers View Post
Thanks for you input. We agreed on price yesterday and are under contract. Survey & sea trial to follow in the next two weeks.

Now that the boat is kinda mine, I may pull a panel or two and see what wiring is/is not connected.

1999 Beneteau 352, a step up from our MacGregor for Great Lakes cruising.
Good luck... pretty exciting for you I'm sure.. and more than "one" step up, I'd say!
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 04-22-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 666
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 14
olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Paul,
One detail to look for -- where is power originating for the AP unit?
I have always been told not to rely on the Sea Talk instrument bus with its small-diameter 12 volt pos. wire for the amp requirements of the AP drive motor.

Feed the AP with a its own #14 or #12 wire.
I realize that this is like powering the bus "from both ends."

I installed our A4000S unit in '95 and over the many years it has only had one board replacement (and is now, internally, a "plus" model).
It has been a reliable crew member, overall!

Happy wire researching.

Best,
L

ps: thanks for the great pics of the drive unit. I was wondering what was inside that casing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A-series MFD and ST4000 autopilot airstuff Electronics 0 03-30-2010 08:20 PM
Raymarine DSM300 question Talisman66 Electronics 1 01-20-2010 06:42 PM
Raymarine Seatalk failure catnap892 Electronics 5 11-08-2009 08:17 PM
Stupid Question krozet Boat Review and Purchase Forum 15 10-11-2009 11:30 AM
Ladder question mcain Gear & Maintenance 14 08-03-2007 10:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.