Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2011

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Mine gave up the ghost first season. Keep in mind it took me to Alaska and back and ran five to fifteen hours at a time for a three month journey. The transmition crapper out as the gearing is all plastic. Fixed under warranty and although I had to deal with the worst customer service of my life its back on the boat and steering true. Avoid using it in following seas, it's just not up to the task. If you break it, dont break it in BC! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The biggest problem we had/have had with ours was that it would not accept the compass calibration no matter how many circles we put in. This was driving me to distraction until I just happened to notice that the fluxgate was pointing straight up not fore/aft. Readjust. Sorted.

(Remember Raven is steel so Fluxgate has to be mounted externally, in our case on the solar panel frame. Dumbhead here simply did not notice incorrect positioning. The Fluxgate is mounted on the solar panel/bimini frame and we had a new bimini fitted at the same time we were installing the fluxgate. )

Raymarine customer service is legendarily bad isn't it ? We took a punt and bought our unit through the SailNet shop, in doing so nearly halving the price in Australia. Whether this was a good idea or not is yet to be seen. Had we gone local the installer is responsible for warranty claims. Having bought offshore we would need to go through Raymarine themselves.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
FWIW our S-1 course computer crapped out on us late last season. Over the winter I contacted the dealer locally, who put me onto a local repair/warranty shop. The entire computer was replaced without question.

Reinstalled, recalibrated and it's working great. The driving transistors for the drive motor had given up the ghost. There was no mention of component replacement, they simply gave me a new one.. so no major complaints here.... mind you I did not have to deal with Raymarine themselves.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-27-2012

Kaian1 is on a distinguished road
ST6002, Course Computer, and Raystar 125 GPS

Before I contact Raymarine I was hoping someone has a similar system configuration.

I'm still working out the kinks on the ST6002, with the fluxgate compass, and course computer settings.

I've gone through the setup and sea trial mode a few times and when in auto mode I'm getting off course errors after two or three minutes as I watch the autopilot steer off course. According to Raymarine this is due to sail balancing. I'm getting this even under engine power in light seas...I reset the sensitivity to 2 vs the defaul 5 which seemed to help. I then decided to by the GPS and installed it this past weekend. But I'm confused as to how I'm suppose to know its working.

I get the green "Fix" light but when accessing the ST6002 I'm not able to obtain any information that the GPS is providing signal to the course computer. Of course I've re-checked the sea-talk wiring and don't see any issue there as the instructions are straigt forward. Yellow/Shield to seatalk, on the course computer, red&green to 12v and brown to ground.

Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you, Kaian1
Old 02-27-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
There are a number of ways to verify IF a GPS is talking and what it is saying.

Assuming rashly that you have an NMEA-18x connection...and premade wiring and plugs...the first thing is to double-check the GPS options menus to make sure the GPS is set to speak NMEA 18x. (Or whatever the rest of your system is expecting.)

If it is, then the GPS will send a data burst about once per second, and you can see that as a voltage pulse on a voltmeter (set to 10-20V scale) on the output lines. Confirming what the data is, requires hooking up a PDA or computer than can read the serial data to confirm what's actually coming out.

Exactly what do you have, and how is it hooked up?

If you're trying to feed NMEA into RayMarine's proprietary Seatalk bus, that won't work. You'll need an NMEA port or translator first.
Old 02-27-2012

Kaian1 is on a distinguished road
HelloSailor,
What I found out today, from Ray Marine, is that I need a chartplotter or device to interface to the GPS 1st. That would have been helpful to know before buying the Raymarine GPS reciever thinking it would automatically feed into the coarse computer similar to the fluxgate. Nope...need to buy another device...any suggestions on a non-supplied GPS Chartplotter would be helpful. I could have saved the $$ and purchased a chartplotter with an integrated GPS receiver if I wuold have known what I learned today.
Thank you, Kaian1