Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-09-2010

bobendaxi is on a distinguished road
Question Repair GPS48 Screen?

Dropped my GPS48, now the screen doesn't work. I tried to download waypoints and routes by scrolling "blindfolded." No luck, but occasional beeps made me think that it's still electronically working OK, but just not displaying. Got the back off and found no obvious bad connections.

Is repair an option?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I would think only the manufacturer (Garmin) would be able to answer that and then only after seeing and testing it.
Old 05-09-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Typically, the Garmin GPSes are in a welded case to make them watertight. If you got the back off, that means yours is an older model with an o-ring seal and you CAN access it? Lucky you!

With those kind of screens, they are usually connected to the guts by a ribbon cable OR edge contacts, and if the contacts are disrupted that's all it takes to blank the screen.

It could also easily be a circuit board cracked when you dropped it, and that's also easy to repair, you need to eyeball the circuit board very carefully, especially near corners or mounting posts, to see if there are any hairline cracks or cold solder joints that opened up in the fall.

Bright light and reading/magnifying glass are essential unless you've got exceptional eyes.

Last edited by hellosailor; 05-09-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2010

bobendaxi is on a distinguished road
Hello 'Hello"

"Bright light and reading/magnifying glass are essential unless you've got exceptional eyes"

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe it was the warmth of the bright light, but I looked, poked, pulled on wires and lo and behold the display came back to life! Never did see a clear cut fault but there were a few suspicious connections that I scraped with a pick.

Thanks too to MiTiempo. Garmin seems quick to cease all support for obsolete products. There must be component parts available somewhere but Garmin isn't offering them. Liability issues no doubt.

Bob
Old 05-09-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Bob
Sounds like either a shaky connection or a cold solder joint. Garmin is that bad?

Last edited by mitiempo; 05-09-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: cor
Old 05-09-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Bob, it could have just been an oxidized connection. That's supposedly why they stopped using o-rings and screws and switched over to welding the new cases shut. Makes it impossible to repair but gets a hermetic seal, in theory.

I'd still suggest double-checking to see if there's an intermittent problem (cold solder joint? hairline crack?) or if the cleaning did the trick. Or, seal it back up and shake the hell out of it, and see if it still works.

Very few vendors are really good about legacy support. Either the profit margins are too thin, or "ong term customer" has no meaning to them, or they'd rather churn the rubes and skim off all the profit they can.

With the hermetically sealed stuff it gets worse fast, since it costs a good bit more just to crack open a shell and replace it with a new one. Once upon a time...some vendors used to just offer an upgrade for the same price as a repair, making pretty much everyone happy in the process. Of course that only matters when they're considering the LONG TERM profits and the LONG TERM growth of the business. Radical concept. :-)
Old 05-13-2010

stars1 is on a distinguished road
Contace manufacturer.
Old 05-18-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobendaxi View Post
Dropped my GPS48, now the screen doesn't work. I tried to download waypoints and routes by scrolling "blindfolded." No luck, but occasional beeps made me think that it's still electronically working OK, but just not displaying. Got the back off and found no obvious bad connections.

Is repair an option?
What are you using to upload the waypoints and routes? If you use Garmin's Mapsource software and it recognizes the unit you should be able to upload the unit data (waypoints, routes, tracks) using the Mapsource menu on your computer without needing to see waht is on the unit screen (assuming it is already set to the Garmin interface).