Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-16-2010

Roberthussey is on a distinguished road
how to connect Raymarine DSC to Garmin plotter ?

Hi, I have a Ray 55 DSC radio. It has 4 wires for a NEMA connection, NMEA IN + & - and NMEA out + & -.

My Garmin 546 plotter has two NMEA ports, each port has two wires, one TX & RX wire, how do I connect the two pieces of equipment together ?

Also I need to configure the port on the plotter, for posn. precision and if it is "route" or "system"

Any help appreciated ! thanks Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Connections

Hi,

To get the radio and GPS to 'talk' you need to connect the Garmin TX to the Ray NMEA IN + and the garmin BLACK (Power and NMEA Ground) wire to the Ray NMEA IN -.

The serial port on the garmin should be set to 'standard'.

This is shown on page 7 of the Garmin installation manual.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2010

Barry, thanks very much for your help.

On page 7 they show from the Garmin plotter, "blue (out) to NMEA Rx/A(+)" and brown (in) to NMEA Tx/A(+)", black power grounds on both devices common.

While the Ray55 shows "NMEA IN grey (+) purple (-), MNEA OUT blue (+) brown (-)".

So you are saying connect the Garmin brown to Ray grey, and Garmin blue to Ray purple, with both Ray & plotter connected to common -ve ground on battery, correct ?

Bob
Old 06-16-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Almost

Hi Bob,

For the two devices to speak, the OUT or Talk, or Transmit or TX (or whatever you want to call it) on one device gets connected to the IN or Listen or Receive (or whatever you want to call it) on the other. And you need a ground too. So to have single direction communication, like from the GPS to the radio, you need two wires. To have bi-directional communication (GPS send to radio and radio sends to GPS) you need 3 wires. Some devices have separate ground for each port. While this is a good idea is it not necessary.

According to your color wiring diagram it should be
GPS Transmit and Radio Receive:
Garmin Blue (NMEA OUT / TX / Transmit) to Ray Grey (NMEA IN / RX / Receive)

Radio Transmit and GPS Receive:
Garmin Brown (NMEA IN / RX / Receive) to Ray Blue (NMEA OUT / TX / Transmit / Talk)

And the grounds:
Garmin Black to Ray purple (NMEA IN Ground) AND Ray Brown (NMEA OUT Ground)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberthussey View Post
Barry, thanks very much for your help.
You're welcome. I hope this helps.

Note that the important connection for DSC GPS and VHF is the GPS transmit and VHF receive. This is so the VHF radio can obtain your current location for emergency messages. Communication in the other direction (from VHF to GPS) is not as important and not all GPS units support it. That is used in case you want to see the location of another vessel on your GPS screen. Your radio can request the position of a friend, get that location in a coded message, send it to your GPS and your GPS can display the location. Is that useful? I don't know. Maybe if you're a fisherman and your friend is getting bites and you are not?

One last comment, NMEA 2000, a real network, with multiple talkers and listeners is making all the difficulty and slow communication of NMEA 0183 go away. This is happening now but will take a few years to be complete.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2010

Barry, thanks so much for taking the time with this problem, I appreciate it. I go down to the boat tomorrow and finish off this job.
Bob