Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-21-2010

Diamondjet is on a distinguished road
Current low-end depth finders

Hello all! I'm a newer member that needs some experienced input on Uniden, Norcross Hawkeye D10 and the Humminbird 610 series depth finders. $100 is about all I need to spend for an inland lake on a Catalina 22. I have found several different reviews on the Hawkeye and Humminbird but no comparisons except that the Humminbird is hard to read in the sun with polarized sunglasses. I would like to use a 'in-hull' transducer and not drill any holes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2010

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
You will find it difficult to find a suitable position to mount an in hull transducer in a sail boat. Normally they are limited to a deadrise of 20 degrees and you really need to be installing the device forward in the boat and not have any thru-hulls/intakes or anything that will cause turbulance forward of the transducer position.

There are 2 types of transducer offered as in-hull, a basic Puck that is epoxied onto the inner hull and a tank type. I recenly installed a tank type in a Morgan, to acieve the angle required an additional tank extender was built with an aditional angle cut to achieve an overall angle of about 35 degrees and thus have the transducer firing directly under the boat.

Note: If using a tank type transducer, DO NOT use mineral oil as the tank fill medium suggested by Humminbird, it will eventually cause the bond to the hull to fail. Use RV Antifreeze in place of this, this is now wahat Airmar recommend, particularly if using 5200 as the bonding compound.
Old 06-21-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondjet View Post
Hello all! I'm a newer member that needs some experienced input on Uniden, Norcross Hawkeye D10 and the Humminbird 610 series depth finders. $100 is about all I need to spend for an inland lake on a Catalina 22. I have found several different reviews on the Hawkeye and Humminbird but no comparisons except that the Humminbird is hard to read in the sun with polarized sunglasses. I would like to use a 'in-hull' transducer and not drill any holes. Thanks.
I have installed an in-hull DS puck in my prior 26 footer. Worked fine. I glued it in with some sealant. I sanded off a flatish area in the bilge aft of the keel several feet, and "mooshed" it down hard onto the hull surface, forcing most of the sealant out. Worked fine for ten years and was fine when I sold that boat.

Some folks will insist that it must be forward, and it is certainly true that such a readout would give you a couple more micro-seconds of warning of the sandbar that you should already have known you were closing in on...

In the real world, at the speeds we go in small sailboats, the aft location works fine and the flatter hull there guarantees a good down-angle for the sound beam. This is usually handy for leading that wire a short distance to the instrument head, as well.

Funny you should mention the polarized glasses problem! I used to wear polarized sun glasses and my 80's Standard Horizon display would be invisible if looked at from the wrong angle.

Best,
L
Old 06-21-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I just installed a Raymarine ST-40 depth sounder in my CS27. I took the Airmar transducer which is designed to require a hole, and epoxied it on the centerline under the V-berth at the aft end. I created a dam and poured in the epoxy to create a flat area, let set overnite, and then set the transducer in the epoxy. Works well and there is no reason to drill a hole or use liquid filled tubes.
Old 06-21-2010

Starlyte is on a distinguished road
I had a Hawkeye a refurb unit off ebay for around 50.00
No problems yet and it's nice and simple.
I used some silicone and mounted it in the area below the seat in the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondjet View Post
Old 06-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
while i may be stating the obvious, just dont forget to account for keel depth when taking readings, i have a thru hull bulk head mount, and a hummingbird (more for the fishes ) that uses mitiempos set up, but in the engine compartment and it works fine. the latter unit allows auto adjustment to account for keel, and i consistently get the same reading from both units.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-30-2010
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I've been using a Uniden (206?) for three years with no issues and would buy another without hesitation. I am using the Airmar "shoot thru" transducer. Total installation time was a couple of hours.
Old 07-20-2010

maxbumpo is on a distinguished road
I have a Balboa 20, and am considering a cheap ($100) fish finder with a transom mount, but mount it forward of the keel on the bottom of the hull. My cockpit drain comes down just aft of the keel, I'm thinking about running the wire down the drain hole and then forward on underside of the hull. One concern is using screws to attach, and then suffering a holed hull after tearing off the transducer during collision with some object, so I may try to glue the transducer mount to the hull. Anyone else try a similar set up?
Old 07-20-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
hey max, sounds like quite a procedure... you might wanna consider mitiempos solution... no screws involed and it i get accurate readings.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-20-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
I know from other SJ21 owners that mounting the transducer either directly or in a diy pvc tank to shoot from inside the hull just in front of the keel works great on my boat, but I haven't been able to decide whether it makes more sense to spend ~$100 on one of the simple standalone finders mentioned above or ~$200 on a smart transudcer to feed nmea 0183 to my gps. The latter would also give me speed and temp if I ever decided to drill the hull.

It would be a no-brainer if my little gps spoke nmea 2k, but it is an older unit and does not. I am hesitant to invest anything in a transducer that will require another ~$100 protocol bridge if I upgrade to a newer gps, but I do like the idea of an integrated system.