Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-26-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Question on Laptops

My current laptop (which is dying) has the option of running a stand alone or second, monitor. My question is, is this a function of software or hardware? If it's just software, what would I need to have this function on a new laptop that doesn't have the option?

Thanks,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
My current laptop (which is dying) has the option of running a stand alone or second, monitor. My question is, is this a function of software or hardware?
Both, actually. The graphics adapter (hardware) needs to support it, both to supply the connection and the "physical" signal and the software to drive the adapter and to tell it what to do.

Haven't seen a one of the Dell laptops we've bought for work not have this capability in... quite a while?

Jim
Old 06-26-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
The external monitor connector is pretty much standard on laptops. It is even on most of the small netbooks, too.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 06-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Spanning monitors is pretty much standard across the board nowadays. The external monitor can work in one of two ways—it can either mirror the laptop's LCD display—where they show the exact same contents; or it can SPAN the display—where it acts as an extension and gives you a larger desktop.

I use this feature a lot when working on large projects, as I can have a dozen applications running and keep most of the windows easily accessible and visible.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Running up your post count Dawg?

Thanks all for the info. I'm guessing the reason I'm not seeing this on the models I'm looking at is because they are very cheap, $398 for a 15.6 screen Toshiba, and so don't have a high end video card.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-26-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
PBzeer,

I've got a project at work that's going to require several wall-mounted flat-screen displays (product stuff). I'm going to use Dell Mini 10 netbooks with solid-state drives. IIRC, they're less than $400/ea., and that's with thesolid-state drives. They're even cheaper with traditional drives. They
have VGA or HDMI outputs.

Jim
Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm...no...stupid forum chokes, so I have to repost the thing... and then sometimes I get double posts... Like I really need to work on my post count.

Even the most basic video chipset supports this nowadays. It used to require a high-end chipset, but I don't think any chipset I've seen on a laptop doesn't allow spanning/mirroring in the last couple of years, including my POS Dell netbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Running up your post count Dawg?

Thanks all for the info. I'm guessing the reason I'm not seeing this on the models I'm looking at is because they are very cheap, $398 for a 15.6 screen Toshiba, and so don't have a high end video card.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2010

rbarkas is on a distinguished road
If you really can't attach a monitor using conventional means to your laptop then have a look at one of the USB monitors that have been available over the years from companies like Samsung and ASUS. If you do a Google search for USB Monitor you see these as well as some usb adapters that will output to a monitor. If you have neither a usable monitor connector / drivers nor a USB port then AFAIK you're outa luck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.