Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-04-2010

caliman is on a distinguished road
Question Depth Finder goes blank for long periods

I have an old Standard Horizon Depth finder with transducer. It is very similar to the $99 ones you see in West Marine with a round display.

It has always gone blank when the boat is keeled.. but on my last trip.. it was blank for most of it, no reading at all, not even 0, then would randomly go on for a short period.

Very dangerous as I was going up the Petaluma river!

FYI: the transducer is mounted thru-hull (possibly - I need to look better but it is found here ) on the port side under my settee in my Ericson 27.

My boat is on dry-dock for some other work. I need to deal with this before they drop it back in.

Any suggestions on how to debug this issue?

caliman

Last edited by caliman; 07-04-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

The E-27 has fairly slack bilges, IIRC.

On one tack it would be pointing outward at quite an angle, and likely not getting much of a return echo.

I used to have a Standard Horizon DS and KM on my prior boat. Good quality for their day, altho much surpassed in view-ability by more modern stuff with much larger digital readouts.

Anyhow, the DS used to have a built-in default mode to show only a pair of dashed lines rather than a depth reading when it could not get a solid return after XX number of seconds. I always liked this because otherwise you could be mislead by the last lingering number even tho the instrument was no longer receiving true information for updates.

Mine also was not fond of muddy shallow bottoms, and would go in and out of the "no info" mode as too much soft mud would refuse to return a decent echo.

Whether yours is doing this or has some other electronic problem is difficult to say, at this point. Might be time to at least take the head into a good marine electronics shop for a bench test.

You might want to drop your questions in front of hundreds of Ericson owners of similar hulls and vintages over at the owners' site at EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!.

Regards,
L
Old 07-05-2010

Thanks L - I am going to play around with it some more today and see if it is a wiring issue. Otherwise I am not sweating it as much as I ran across the Hummingbird Depth Finder that has an in-hull puck transducer that doesn't require drilling or being out of water to install. I just glue it in. Might go that route if I have to.
Old 07-05-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Curious... Is there bottom paint on the transducer? If yes, how much and what type -- specialized transducer paint or regular bottom paint? Too much paint (of any sort) might interfere with the transducer's ability to receive an echo on a consistent basis. A quick dive and a 3M nylon scrubbie could fix your problem.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 07-15-2010

From what I can tell there is a metal plate over it on the outside of the hull. This plate has slits in it. The plate is painted with bottom paint. When I look between the slits I do see what appears to be the other end of the transducer. It is somewhat opaque. These are observations noted while it was in the yard. Unfortunately it is back in the water now. I am still not getting a reading. I am getting "--" 2 dashes.
Old 07-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One, there should not be anything mounted over the transducer. Chances are pretty likely that having something mounted over it has led to its early demise and certainly would have led to false readings.

A transducer that is mounted through-the-hull needs to be mounted on a fairing block so that it is effectively LEVEL when the boat is not heeled. If it wasn't mounted using a fairing block inside and outside the boat, then it would not have read accurately.

If your boat has a solid fiberglass hull with no voids or core, you can mount a transducer inside the hull without the need for a through-hull. I generally recommend mounting a transducer for this purpose by glassing a 4" diameter PVC tube to the hull and then mounting the transducer in a cleanout cap that is mounted on a cleanout fitting welded to the tube. This allows you to remove the transducer easily for repair or replacement. Fill the tube with either non-toxic antifreeze or mineral oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2010

Great post. Thanks for the info. I plan on following your advice.

Next time it is in the yard, should I remove the old transducer? How should I seal the hole?
Old 07-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, removing the transducer would make sense.

Sealing the hole would be a typical fiberglass repair, where you grind the hull at about a 12:1 taper around the hole. If the hull is 3/4" thick, you'll need to grind an area 3" wide around the hole...then lay up new glass starting with a piece the size of the ground out area and continuing with slightly smaller patches.

Ideally, this type of hole should be patched from both sides....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-19-2010

Thanks for the info!

FYI - I went sailing this weekend and I noted that the depth finder works when keeled over to starboard.

This has to be a clue. Anybody have an idea what this means?
Old 07-20-2010

solved.. I think!

I think I figured this out now that I had a free moment tonight to devote to this...

Original thru-hall is no longer used, so toss all my talk of that above.

I located the transducer - it is an in-hall version mounted on a pvc cylinder that is glued to the hull. Upon close inspection I noted that the puck was not seated well - in fact, it was only being held by one screw that was pretty loose. I removed the screw and pulled the puck out. Although there was mineral oil on the sides of it, there was very little inside the cylinder. There was not enough even to pool at the bottom of the cylinder.

So I think all I have to do is put mineral oil in and screw the puck on. I am relieved! I will report back when I do this.. (too late to get it tonight..)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.