Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-16-2010
S/V Jeanne Marie

dtempleton is on a distinguished road
Second VHF- antenna splitter??

Sorry if this is elsewhere in the forum, I couldn't find it.

I have a serviceable iCom VHF at the nav station of our 50' sloop but want a radio at the cockpit. I have selected what seems like an adequate unit with DSC etc, and will install it soon. I would like to share the use of the same antenna with both the old unit and new unit.

A Google search of "VHF antenna splitter" yields results that range from a $0.65 coax splitter to $250 unit that seems to be powered separately. What do I actually need?

Thanks

Dennis
S/V Jeanne Marie --- Morgan 51 cutter, Hull#1
Jackson Creek --- Deltaville, VA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Does your icom have a ram mic capability? May be easier & cheaper than a whole new radio + wiring + splitting.
Old 08-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out if you're going to be installing a second VHF unit, you'd be better off installing a second antenna to give you real redundancy. However a RAM mic makes a lot more sense, if your iCom unit can handle one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-16-2010
S/V Jeanne Marie

dtempleton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Does your icom have a ram mic capability? May be easier & cheaper than a whole new radio + wiring + splitting.
No, I've looked for a RAM mic, and it doesn't seem to; the existing radio is not a top line item. The wiring is not hard; the cockpit location is just 10 feet of service space from the current nav station installation.

Good point about "real redundancy"

d
S/V Jeanne Marie --- Morgan 51 cutter, Hull#1
Jackson Creek --- Deltaville, VA
Old 08-16-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Splitters serve a purpose arguably but all of them share one common problem - loss. The loss of adding the splitter plus the requisite connections with their inherent additional loss usually offsets any benefit to be derived from sharing an antenna. When one considers they can often fail (and you don't know when), the argument(s) against splitters become overwhelming against them.

The obvious question is how much loss - this can't be precisely answered without knowing what splitter and more insidiously, how well or poorly your connectors are made and installed.

Long story short - splitters are a poor choice
Old 08-16-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
The obvious question is how much loss - this can't be precisely answered without knowing what splitter and more insidiously, how well or poorly your connectors are made and installed.
However we do know, conclusively, that it will be at least 3 dB (that's 50%) on receive on each radio unless the splitter is "active," because you can't divide something in two without... well, dividing it in two. As for an active splitter: If such a thing existed: You just added another point-of-failure to your radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Long story short - splitters are a poor choice
Concur. Bad idea.

You want VHF in two places: Either add a 2nd antenna or upgrade the existing radio to one with RAM capability and install a RAM. (The latter is what I'd do. If I wanted a backup radio I'd either have a backup radio stashed aboard or a hand-held.)

Jim
Old 08-16-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Worst case scenario, you hit a container and grab the mic to call mayday. And, your crew down below grabs the mic down below to do the same thing. What's going to happen with one shared antenna? Nothing good.

Another vote for using a second antenna, or keeping a high quality h/t at the helm. Which is handy if you're using it to call a launch or going ashore and the main power is alreaedy shut down.
Old 08-16-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
With a second VHF in the cockpit, you definitely want a separate antenna. I'd put one on the pushpit. It will have plenty of range for the type of transmissions you'd normally do from the cockpit (contacting other boats within visible range, port facilities, etc.).

I have a RAM mic and, while I like it OK I'm not sure I'd go for one a second time. Good waterproof VHF radios can be had for the same price and, with a second antenna, provide 100% redundancy....a good thing.

Whatever you do, don't go the splitter route...losses, potential damage to radios, unnecessary complication, etc., etc.

IMHO,

Bill
Old 08-18-2010

redline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtempleton View Post
A Google search of "VHF antenna splitter" yields results that range from a $0.65 coax splitter to $250 unit that seems to be powered separately. What do I actually need?
As an electronics engineer and radio ham, I can tell you that practically speaking, you can split a receive antenna (with the loss others mentioned), but NOT a Transmitter antenna. The $250 unit might be some automatic power-sensing device that is a possible failure point, but otherwise transmitting is going to burn up a passive splitter and possibly the other radio that is still in receive mode (regardless of what channel it is on), and the transmitter won't like it either.

Separate antennas, or a remote control microphone, are definitely the way to go. Two antennas gives complete redundancy, which is hard to beat.