Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-19-2010

montenido is on a distinguished road
Multi-display Boat Icon is Slightly "Off"

Hi all,

I just returned from a couple of days with my family at Santa Cruz Island. I noticed that when I set waypoints and follow the track, I am off a bit when I arrive. That seemed odd to me. When making my way to my slip I noticed that the boat icon in my display is not pointing in the exact direction of travel.

So even though I was going down the middle of a channel, it showed my boat facing about 15-20 degrees right while traveling down the middle of the channel. Does this make sense? So, thinking that the icon showed my actual orientation, I was always a bit 'off' when heading towards a waypoint.

I'll have to dig out the two-volume manual and see what it says. Has anybody else run into this?

Thanks as always, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2010

Forgot - Raymarine C-80 Gear

Oops, forgot to tell you what type of instruments. All Raymarine, C-80 chartplotter and radar.

Thanks, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 08-20-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
This may have nothing to do with your problem but I had something similar happen to my Garmin in my auto. I noticed that it lacked some detail and auto icon was showing to be about a hundred or so yards off the highway / roads.
It also stopped identifying the roads to turn on, it simply gave the direction to turn instead of saying "turn left" etc.

The night before I had been browsing the different settings and evidently I had unchecked the "US maps" which was the only map showing in the memory. Even though I had unchecked it, many of the main roads were still showing on the screen but everything was slightly off.

After I checked that map again, everything returned to normal.
Old 08-20-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
So even though I was going down the middle of a channel, it showed my boat facing about 15-20 degrees right while traveling down the middle of the channel. Does this make sense? So, thinking that the icon showed my actual orientation, I was always a bit 'off' when heading towards a waypoint.
Sounds like it might be a Display Setting - Head Up or Course UP or North Up.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 08-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing, in many cases, computer screens, like a chartplotter, generally don't have the resolution to have the icon point in EVERY DIRECTION very clearly...so only give you a general idea of what direction the boat may be pointed in. The icon may only actually be shown pointing in 8 or 16 positions, and that could be the reason for the discrepancy.

@ChristyLeigh—

We hailed you a couple of weeks ago when Denby and I were out on s/v Slight Breeze and you didn't answer... very disappointed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Do you have a fluxgate compass or another heading sensor in your system?
Old 08-21-2010

tomhuntdmd is on a distinguished road
You may need to re-calibrate your fluxgate compass. We had a similar situation a couple of years ago when our Raymarine RL70C+ had some sort of electronic “burp” and the display showed our boat being towed around almost backwards. I tried to re-calibrate according to the instructions in the manual, but the system wouldn’t let me do it. Involves putting the system in a calibration mode and going out and doing 2 360’s.

I tried to get help from Raymarine over the internet, and then talked to their rep at the Seattle Boat Show. I finally got a hold of a tech that knew something about these ancient (8 year old) systems and he sold me a reconditioned ST6002 autopilot control head, instead of the ST6000 that came with the boat. This was a great upgrade because it not only allowed the calibration to proceed, it also displays the compass heading.

Hope this helps

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Multi-display Boat Icon is Slightly "Off"-6002.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010

redline is on a distinguished road
I think the previous posts have it - my E80/E120 will do the same if the Autopilot fluxgate is not quite calibrated (it seems to need a cal "reminder" once in a while) - or it can be normal if your chart is set for Course Up, and current or wind is pushing you to one side - the boat may actually be pointing (heading) out of the channel yet still moving (COG) in the desired direction. We sailboats spend a lot of time pointing where we are not going.

But check your compass cal.
Old 09-05-2010

Thanks for the great replies. I haven't been back to the boat in a couple of weeks (don't ask), but will check the compass and calibration this week.

Thanks again, Bill

Mark Twain