Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-22-2010

sweetdreamyamaha is on a distinguished road
cheap backup camera installed on pulpit useful?

I am think about installing one of those cheap car backup cameras on the pulpit to allow me to see what is in front of the boat when I am in the cabin for short periods or when the jib is blocking the view. Some of these cameras also seem to have infrared capability, although probably poor image quality.

Has anyone on this forum tried this? How were the results?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
Good idea but a secure dry mounting position may be tough. Let us know how it woke out as I have one I could install.ahab211
Old 08-23-2010

I was thinking either somewhere on the mast or on the pulpit. The cameras are waterproof usually but probably not "really" waterproof though. I'm putting that on my to do project list and will let you know how it worked out.
Old 08-28-2010

Patient is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamyamaha View Post
I am think about installing one of those cheap car backup cameras on the pulpit to allow me to see what is in front of the boat when I am in the cabin for short periods or when the jib is blocking the view. Some of these cameras also seem to have infrared capability, although probably poor image quality.

Has anyone on this forum tried this? How were the results?
Neat idea! Can you describe your setup a bit more? For instance are you using a Raymarine Video input for this etc etc?

There is talk that now that FLIR has acquired Raymarine that they may introduce a line of cameras with IR capability, but I wouldn't hold out for those, I am sure they will be ver pricey too.

Infrared cameras usually require an emitter of some sort to be useful in night time. Now'a'days those are in the form of high powered LEDs that reside on the camera itself. I have seen a couple DIY setups but you would have to build your CCD camera housing and add the LEDs yourself.

I think your best bet would be to find the camera component with IR Leds and work from there as most of the "System packages" are very expensive.

I don't know the specs on power usage, but I think it would be minimal if its a switch on type of system. Another idea would be to mount it on remote spotlight so you can actually aim the thing if you wanted using the spotlight controls.

I say go for it and post a big write up on how it turned out!
Old 08-28-2010

Patient, I'm thinking about hooking up one like the picture you posted to a cheap LCD screen inside the cabin. The emitter issue you raised might be a problem. It'll be a while before I get to it but I'll give it a try and post the results.
Old 08-29-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
A camera might be useful when trying to pick up a mooring single handed.
Old 08-29-2010
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
That is a great idea! I have been looking for an "inexpensive" camera to mount at the base of my pedestal to capture the instrument panel that is mounted low on the aft wall of my cockpit. My chart plotter has video input (Garmin 3210). It would be very helpful if I could display my "dashboard" on the chart plotter's screen. The engine's gauges are in a difficult spot to scan visually. Rather than craning my neck to check oil pressure or engine temp, etc. it would be nice to just push the video button and have them displayed right in front of me.

Any suggestion for cameras or sources of cameras would be welcome.

Thanks,

Down
Old 08-29-2010

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
Keeping the lens clean/dry will be an issue to consider when selecting the mounting location.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE
Old 08-29-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
That is a great idea! I have been looking for an "inexpensive" camera to mount at the base of my pedestal to capture the instrument panel that is mounted low on the aft wall of my cockpit. My chart plotter has video input (Garmin 3210). It would be very helpful if I could display my "dashboard" on the chart plotter's screen. The engine's gauges are in a difficult spot to scan visually. Rather than craning my neck to check oil pressure or engine temp, etc. it would be nice to just push the video button and have them displayed right in front of me.

Any suggestion for cameras or sources of cameras would be welcome.

Thanks,

Down
I have the 3210 also, that's why I thought it would be cool to see where a mooring is from the helm.
Old 08-30-2010

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
I've got a basic camera that I picked up a while back that should mount on a car. I'm guessing it is reasonably water resistant and comes with a VERY long cord to go back to power and a screen. I've been thinking to do it for the past couple of years but other items keep getting in the way. When I do get around to doing it though I'll be sure to post up some pics. I think it's a great idea and can be useful for sailing across a generally empty area like the Georgia Straits around here going from the mainland to the Gulf Islands. I like to go down below and do stuff but always have to look out once in a while (I'm not looking to replace a proper lookout), so I'd like a way to do a quick glance while down below or even just keep an eye outside while at a mooring.