Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-18-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Standard Horizon GX2100 AIS VHF

I think Standard Horizon is going to be selling alot of these radios in the next couple of years. I"ve been in the market for an AIS receiver for sometime now. Standard Horizon sells this VHF with a built in AIS reciever that can talk to our chart plotter for less than what some of the stand alone AIS black boxes were going for. The radio has a small stand alone AIS display screen, however, the AIS function does not appear to work unless the radio is receiving it's location from a separate GPS receiver. It may be a little early to buy these radios though. Ours appears to have a bug which is similar to some other bugs that showed up in an internet search (after I installed the radio) When doing a "position request" via DSC to another vessel, the radio switches over to and then listens to a weather station. I have correspondence in to Standard Horizon and I'm waiting for a reply. Anyone else have this problem?
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
I have that radio and like it a lot, although I never tried the position request. I use the ram mic on my binnacle and it displays the AIS targets as well .... in impressive detail. I connected it to a Garmin 546 plotter for enhanced AIS information. The Garmin displays more targets and more information on them than the VHF, although the VHF alone is adequate. The GPS signal is connected through a switch to the VHF from either the 546 or my masthead Furuno GPS antenna.

Last edited by FishSticks; 01-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2010

zibadun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Ours appears to have a bug which is similar to some other bugs that showed up in an internet search (after I installed the radio) When doing a "position request" via DSC to another vessel, the radio switches over to and then listens to a weather station. I have correspondence in to Standard Horizon and I'm waiting for a reply. Anyone else have this problem?
erps
I'm curious if you got this issue resolved. Did you need to send the radio in?
Old 12-08-2010

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Hope it was resolved, Ray, since I just bought one (From Sailnet)

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 12-08-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Standard horizon fixed me right up. They answered my email within 24 hrs and gave a couple ideas to check. It turned out that it was my temporary antenna mount that was messing things up and causing my problem. The radio has been working as advertised.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 12-08-2010

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
I've found the DSC position check function hard to use, but the AIS works great.
Old 12-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
PEBKAC... Not surprised Ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Standard horizon fixed me right up. They answered my email within 24 hrs and gave a couple ideas to check. It turned out that it was my temporary antenna mount that was messing things up and causing my problem. The radio has been working as advertised.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-01-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I just started getting "the itch" for an AIS receiver. Although I'd prefer to keep my electronics simple, the large amount of commercial traffic on the Delaware River could make AIS a real safety improvement. I don't want to become another Duck boat tragedy.

The SH GX2100 caught my eye because it avoids the need for a separate antenna and/or a splitter. Plus, my current radio lacks DSC, so replacing the radio is a good idea, so might as well get VHF and AIS in one box.

In this document it looks like the GX2100 wants to feed the DSC and AIS output on separate ports and at different baud rates.

However, it looks like SH has recently announced a new model:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Standard Horizon 2011, new everything!

Blue Water Bound Marine

The descriptions are a little misleading - and no mention of it on the Standard Horizon website yet. Do they still feed DSC and AIS out on different ports, but can slow down the baud rate for AIS? Or can the new model actually multiplex the DSC and AIS onto the same NMEA port?

The Garmin 640 that I'm considering has only two NMEA inputs, and I'd like to reserve one for depth, so if the new GX2150 combines DSC and AIS into one output, I'd definitely wait for it.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 01-01-2011

zibadun is on a distinguished road
yes the new model appears to multiplex dsc and ais. see also Best AIS receiver for the buck

would this have saved the duck boat though? I wonder why they didn't issue mayday after getting no response on ch 13 from tug
Old 01-18-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibadun View Post
yes the new model appears to multiplex dsc and ais. see also Best AIS receiver for the buck

would this have saved the duck boat though? I wonder why they didn't issue mayday after getting no response on ch 13 from tug
I never said it would have saved them - just that I did not want to become a similar tragedy. AIS can help if you sail in a region with a lot of commercial traffic in close confines.

FYI, I posted a "secret link" to the new GX2150 manual over on the thread you linked above:

Best AIS receiver for the buck

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)