Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-06-2010

Donner74 is on a distinguished road
AIS: Standalone Vs. Overlay

Good morning all,

I've been hard at work this weekend researching and pricing out the components for big electronics upgrade. One question that's still on my mind is whether or not I need a dedicated AIS display or if I will be ok using the overlay on my Navigation device. I mainly cruise in some pretty busy waters so AIS is a no brainer. I also like that a dedicated display with low power draw can be on and receiving when my nav system isn't. So for those of you who use AIS my questions are (in no particular order)

1) Dedicated or overlaid on charts?
2) Should I get the Simrad AI50 to go with the all Simrad system I am planning or is their a better standalone device to consider? Note: I realize that I can share AIS data either from the standalone to the new NSE or from the NSE to a standalone screen.
3) Receiver or Transponder?

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Greg
Old 12-06-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Probably no right answer for everyone. If power is an issue, I suppose that deserves some consideration.

AIS is most important to me when visibility is low. In those conditions, I would most likely be navigating with everything I have available. The chartplotter at the helm would certainly be on, so that's where I'm most inclined to display the AIS data. If I had a separate unit, it would have to be mounted at the helm too. Having it down at the nav station does me little good.

I'm researching these options right now too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010

I totally agree the dedicated display would have to be at the helm, and that results in a number of other considerations for me not the least of which are space and aesthetics ... but I actually think I might use (note: I have never had one to date) AIS even in good visibility. My family and I cruise in some pretty busy areas depending on the time of year, and sometimes even on a really clear day all the traffic can be a bit confusing. This is where I think a dedicated AI50 might be worthwhile as it would alleviate clutter on the charts. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the all in one approach, and the Simrad NSE I am looking at seems like it can do it all, charts, radar, weather, AIS, etc., I'm just wonder if I find myself in a dangerous crossing situation it would be worth having a place to look instantly that's only showing the AIS related details. Have you done much research on AIS alarms? I've heard some of the units aren't very intuitive and go off every time you point you bow at another ship. I know myself well enough to admit if the damn thing goes off every few minutes, I'm going to start to tune it out or turn it off.
Old 12-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why choose...why not get an AIS with a limited display and route its NMEA 0183 output to the chartplotter. This gives you both, and eliminates a single point of failure besides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner74 View Post
Good morning all,

I've been hard at work this weekend researching and pricing out the components for big electronics upgrade. One question that's still on my mind is whether or not I need a dedicated AIS display or if I will be ok using the overlay on my Navigation device. I mainly cruise in some pretty busy waters so AIS is a no brainer. I also like that a dedicated display with low power draw can be on and receiving when my nav system isn't. So for those of you who use AIS my questions are (in no particular order)

1) Dedicated or overlaid on charts?
2) Should I get the Simrad AI50 to go with the all Simrad system I am planning or is their a better standalone device to consider? Note: I realize that I can share AIS data either from the standalone to the new NSE or from the NSE to a standalone screen.
3) Receiver or Transponder?

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-06-2010

Definitely the way I am leaning SailingDog. Any suggestions on which one to get? Simrad? Vesper? Something else. I'm gonna avoid the Standard combi VHF unit. What I'm really leaning toward is a standalone display that presents AIS info clearly like blips on a radar.
Old 12-06-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
From the sounds of it, you are doing all systems from scratch. Just a warning if you are integrating older equip. I learned today that my 6 yr old Raymarine chartplotter is incapable of using AIS data, Even though it technically has the ability to receive it through NMEA inputs, it doesn't know what to do with it.
Old 12-08-2010
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
We have a receiver Smart-Radio-SR161, routed through a MUX to my laptop running a moving chart software (FUGAWI) and to the helm into our Garmin 440 chartplotter. I think I might be able to route it into our RADAR as well - have not tried yet.