Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-31-2010

Madhatter23 is on a distinguished road
C-MAP charts

I just bought a used chartplotter, my first one (Simrad CE33). I am planning on taking my first cruise, from LI to Georgia in the spring. My question is, is the GPS chart mapping in the unit sufficient by itself, or do I need to get the CMAP's to use in the unit also? I got a good deal on the plotter, but don't know how detailed the internal charts are. Anyone??
On a side note, do people share their cruise waypoints with each other? If someone has made this trip, and I am sure people have, would they keep a list of their waypoints to share with others, or am I giving too much credit to sailors?

Last edited by Madhatter23; 12-31-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Depends on how old the chartplotter is. If it is less than 3 years old you can probably get away with it, otherwise I would be looking at an upgrade. I use C-Map charts on my laptop and the upgrade procedure is a bit of a pain.

Establishing waypoints is so easy most people would'nt bother swapping.

Ilenart
Old 02-13-2011

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter23 View Post
I just bought a used chartplotter, my first one (Simrad CE33). I am planning on taking my first cruise, from LI to Georgia in the spring. My question is, is the GPS chart mapping in the unit sufficient by itself, or do I need to get the CMAP's to use in the unit also? I got a good deal on the plotter, but don't know how detailed the internal charts are. Anyone??
On a side note, do people share their cruise waypoints with each other? If someone has made this trip, and I am sure people have, would they keep a list of their waypoints to share with others, or am I giving too much credit to sailors?
With most chartplotters, the inbuilt chart is a general chart, but not usually specific with close-in details - buoys, rocks, harbours, etc. I know with my Navman, that I could not navigate safely with the in-built chart, and I have a wide area C-Map chart of where I sail.

I input my route before I sail, then I can check on progress.
I once sailed on someone else's boat, who only put in waypoints one at a time. He then input the next waypoint. He did this at one time, and put a Long of .50 instead of .05. You can guess how much that threw the navigation off!! Luckily, we were clear of hazards, and instead of going down one channel, we ended up at the head of another channel that met up with the one we should have come down! On the return trip, I put all the waypoints in before sailing!!!!

As for sharing waypoints, I "do" give my waypoint lists to others, but it is entirely up to their own safety to check my waypoints when they input them into their own chartplotter. I also ask and get waypoints from other users, but always check them when put onto the chart.

My method for waypoints is to put them onto my chart, but check them in good weather for distance off a coastline. Then, if the weather closes-in, I am more sure of their position. That and checking the radar.
Old 02-13-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Get the chips, if you can. Most argue that you should only navigate by printed charts anyway, but it is possible that a necessary chart is blown overboard.

Personally, I'm from the camp that the Captain is there to monitor and cross-reference the technology, but it should be allowed and capable to do its job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-23-2011

motion300 is on a distinguished road
my garmin does great with the intregal charts
Old 05-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Ilenart ... What program do you use ? where did you go for the upgrade ?

Motion ... which model Garmin ?

Hatter ... I would not be very happy to be navigating close inshore using only the base chart that comes with the plotters I have seen.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-25-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I have noticed most new Raymarine as well as some other brand plotters now claim to come with 'ready to navigate' base cartography.

Certainly the old 'base map' that used to pop up on my old Navman was utterly useless for anything other than perhaps a kindergarden geography lesson.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
I have noticed most new Raymarine as well as some other brand plotters now claim to come with 'ready to navigate' base cartography.

Certainly the old 'base map' that used to pop up on my old Navman was utterly useless for anything other than perhaps a kindergarden geography lesson.
What model Navman ? Base map on the 5380 which we have on Raven was good enough to show your position offshore but that was about it. Most certainly could not suffice without paper backup.

As far as the chartplotter is concerned I think we have it worked out now. I will need to get an NT+ card for the Raymarine as a starting point. That card will cover Australia from Victoria/SA border to FNQ including Tasmania and Lord Howe Island. Should keep me busy for awhile.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-29-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Well computer crashes notwithstanding ... just about to order the NT+ card for the Raymarine RL80 but I thought, nothing ventured nothing gained, lets at least see what happens when we drop the MAX card into the thing. Bonanza ... couldn't get the MAX to go in cos already insterted and left behind by previous owner was one NT+ card as per previous post and in the second slot New Caledonia. Nice bonus.

Old 05-30-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Got to be happy with that!

We also had the 5380 on the old boat and also still have the C-Map Max card. However when pricing what it would take to setup a PC based Chartplotter using the C-Map Card by the time we bought the Card reader + Software it was cheaper to buy Quickcharts.....

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller