SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   12-Volt LCD/TV Suggestions? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/71079-12-volt-lcd-tv-suggestions.html)

Nitro 01-04-2011 10:19 PM

12-Volt LCD/TV Suggestions?

Last post on this topic is several months old. Anyone have a current suggestion?

I'm looking for a quality 12-volt powered, 20-22" LCD TV/DVD monitor, preferably with decent stereo sound, to mount on a salon bulkhead. Intended use is occasional movies and TV on the mooring but also to receive video output from my MFD and laptop.

Secondly, anyone found a marine quality HDMI cable longer than 3 meters? My run to the nav station is closer to 18' when routed.

mitiempo 01-05-2011 12:14 PM

I don't think there is a specifically "marine" hdmi cable. Virtually all have gold plated connectors. Just buy one the correct length. And with hdmi, spending the big bucks is not always better.

Nitro 01-05-2011 12:51 PM

'marine grade' aside, I can't find one long enough without having to connect a few together.

night0wl 01-05-2011 12:58 PM

Going thought on TV's is to find anyone you like that accepts a 12v input. The only advice would get a nice DC-DC Converter in order to ensure that the input voltage for the TV is smoothed out. TV's dont respond well to the high and low voltages on our boats.

Also, consensus is to avoid inverters due to inefficiency associated with taking DC and converting to AC.

Occasionally, you'll see TV's with a brick/external powersupply which are the TV's I'd target. However, I've seen fewer and fewer of these as of late in the good brands out there.

tommays 01-05-2011 01:03 PM

There are plenty of hits and stores when you google (long HDMI cable)gotta shop a bit but a saw a 25' for 99 dollars

mitiempo 01-05-2011 01:28 PM

Don't connect hdmi cables together - you'd need adaptors to do so anyway.
Long ones do exist - I have installed 50' cables in walls for projectors.

pdqaltair 01-05-2011 02:09 PM

Personally, I find using 110v hardware is much simpler, so much is available. My TV and DVD player seem to like the inverter output just fine. The sound was even fine...

...until my wife bough me some Bose speakers to go with it. Now I am aware of some hum that I didn't notice before. It's fine on shore power, but on the hook it is notable if you turn it up enough. But not troublesome.

Sail Delmarva: Flat Screen Mounting

r.furborough 01-05-2011 03:27 PM

There are some LED TV's that now have an external power supply, Vizio do them on some of the smaller TV's but I don;t know about the larger ones. Try Costco , Sams Club et. al. and check the power inputs on Vizio and others.

Bene505 01-05-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 683155)
Personally, I find using 110v hardware is much simpler, so much is available. My TV and DVD player seem to like the inverter output just fine. The sound was even fine...

...until my wife bough me some Bose speakers to go with it. Now I am aware of some hum that I didn't notice before. It's fine on shore power, but on the hook it is notable if you turn it up enough. But not troublesome.

Sail Delmarva: Flat Screen Mounting

Put a capacitor across each power input (TV, Bose system) and the problem should go away. The bigger the capacitor the better, but probably don't need to go above 100 micro farads (just guessing with that). Rated for 15volts or higher should do it. Get a variety pack at Radio Shack and try them out.

Regards,
Brad

Minnewaska 01-05-2011 07:35 PM

I bought a 22" or 23" Vizio that I thought had a 12v input, since it clearly had a DC input. Turns out this one is 19v when I get it out of the box in the salon. Thought I was sunk and then learned that many laptops are 19v, so a 12v-19v convertor was easy to locate. I just haven't hooked it up yet, as the TV is a fairly low priority, so I've only had it on once at the dock with 110v. Vizio has several models.

I did not like the mounting hardware for the screen itself, which now creates a follow on project to fix that. Do a project on the list, that creates a project on the list. Geesh.