Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-01-2011

redline is on a distinguished road
Doc,

I used a Parani10
Parani 10
which seems to have been replaced by several other models such as
SENA Bluetooth Serial Adapter, Wireless Serial Device Server, Bluetooth Serial Module, Bluetooth Access Point, Bluetooth RS232, Device Networking, Serial Server, Bluetooth Dongle, Cable Replacement, Wireless Serial.

You can change its baud rate with a PC and setup program, I have used it at 9600 as well as 4800.

(no relation to either product or supplier, just used some at work and decided to try it on the boat). I also just noticed they have an RS485 version, which should be even "more" NMEA-0183 compatible..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with the one from USConverters. It works flawlessly after I upgraded my Toshiba Bluetooth driver software in the Netbook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-03-2011

JimHill is on a distinguished road
The Singapore pilots use a Bluetooth transmitter from IO gear. They connect a cable to the Pilot Port on the AIS, and to the bluetooth transmitter. Using the Pilot port they get all the GPS and AIS info plus heading from the ship's compass. Excuse me if I'm going off course; just thought it might be helpful.
Old 02-19-2013

gr8wi9 is on a distinguished road
Re: NMEA over Bluetooth

I'm using the same adapter to connect my HX851 portable with GPS to an ACER netbook running SeaClearII. I had trouble getting it to connect with the netbook (Win7 starter) so I tried an ACER laptop running Vista. This seemed to connect ok once Windows found and loaded the drivers. The blue light on the adapter came on solid instead of blinking. But Seaclear didn't update the position so I don't think it's hearing the GPS. Do you have any tips? I think I have the com port in Seaclear set to the same as the bluetooth adapter. The HX851 doesn't seem to have any settings. At least I couldn't find anything in the manual.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-19-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
It should be fine. For practical purposes modern NMEA 0183 is a plain RS232 without any handshaking, any standard claims otherwise notwithstanding.
To be clear NMEA 0183 is RS422, not RS232. It uses differential signalling, not ground based like RS232.
Old 02-19-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
To be clear NMEA 0183 is RS422, not RS232. It uses differential signalling, not ground based like RS232.
Technically you are correct, and if you wanted to make a 1000' run of wire without electrical interference it might be important. But over the distance of a a boat length (or much shorter in the case of using a short pigtail to connect a radio to a Bluetooth transmitter), RS232 works fine.

It seems like the common ground wire used in RS232 has become a de facto standard for this anyway. Standard Horizon uses a common ground for their NMEA transmissions (DSC + out, AIS + out, and GPS + in all reference the same common ground wire). It's impossible to follow RS422 if the electronic devices sending the NMEA sentences don't provide dedicated (-) wire for each (+) wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-19-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8wi9 View Post
I'm using the same adapter to connect my HX851 portable with GPS to an ACER netbook running SeaClearII. I had trouble getting it to connect with the netbook (Win7 starter) so I tried an ACER laptop running Vista. This seemed to connect ok once Windows found and loaded the drivers. The blue light on the adapter came on solid instead of blinking. But Seaclear didn't update the position so I don't think it's hearing the GPS. Do you have any tips? I think I have the com port in Seaclear set to the same as the bluetooth adapter. The HX851 doesn't seem to have any settings. At least I couldn't find anything in the manual.
Thanks,
Jim
There are about a dozen things that could be wrong. Hard to list them all.

First, NMEA standard is 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity. Every link in your chain needs to be at the same setting. If your radio has no adjustable settings, chances are it is sending 4800/8/n. Your bluetooth adapter probably defaults to 9600, so you need to set it to 4800. Your Bluetooth receiver in your PC also needs to be 4800, and will send the transmission to a virtual COM port. That COM port is what your chartplotter software will see, and both need to be the same COM port and the same baud rate.

Your Bluetooth software may have a configuration utility that allows you to specify the COM port and baud rate. If not, go to Device Manager and select Ports, then the Port Settings tab to make adjustments. Native Windows Bluetooth support is notoriously bad, so you may need to go to third party software. Figure out whose Bluetooth transmitter is in your machine, and go look for their driver software online. I have a Toshiba chip in my netbook, and had to try 3 different versions of the Toshiba driver before I found the one that was 100% reliable.

Debugging all this took me a few hours. But once it's running, you never have to do it again.

Frankly, though, I would recommend that you just go buy a GPS puck to plug into your PC. In order for the HX851 to send/receive NMEA, it needs to be in its charging cradle, which is not weather resistant. And part of the whole purpose of having a handheld is to keep it out in the cockpit with you. So you'd be better off getting an inexpensive dedicated GPS puck for your PC. I got a Delorme LT-20 for $18, so they can be found cheap.

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-19-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Standard Horizon's NMEA 0183 seems to be particularly busted in general. I'm happy that there are alternatives to the GX2100 showing up on the market (like the Lowrance Link 8 and similar Simrad model) that don't require 3 unidirectional serial ports.

My Raymarine gear all uses differential signalling like RS422. I'm building some of my own NMEA 0183 gear now around a Netduino and decided to use RS422, not RS232, because the driver chips for either are roughly the same cost (about $1.50 or less each). For someone with basic hardware and software skills it wouldn't be hard to build a RS422 to Bluetooth repeater using Netduino or Arduino. There are pretty low cost bluetooth modules that will work with either platform. Having control over code in the middle will give you the flexibility to add in your own sensors, mux multiple NMEA 0183 inputs together, and otherwise control the data streams.
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Frankly, though, I would recommend that you just go buy a GPS puck to plug into your PC.
I agree. This is for backup to another wired GPS, and to help me learn about the networking technology. I'm not doing very well at that! Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Standard Horizon's NMEA 0183 seems to be particularly busted in general.
Why do you say that? Have there been lots of complaints? If it really is busted, then no amount of fiddling on my part will work. As I said in my first post, the computer claimed it was connected to the bluetooth adapter that's added to the radio. The adapter light stayed solid blue also, but the radio wasn't communicating with seaclear.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.