Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: NMEA over Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Standard Horizon's NMEA 0183 seems to be particularly busted in general. I'm happy that there are alternatives to the GX2100 showing up on the market (like the Lowrance Link 8 and similar Simrad model) that don't require 3 unidirectional serial ports...
I have the GX2150, not the 2100, but I'm almost 100% sure that you do not need three separate serial ports. I believe that you can group the 4800 in and 4800 out onto one bidirectional COM port.

On the 2150 you can alternately get all three (AIS out, DSC out, GPS in) onto one port at 38,400. I don't currently use this feature (because my autopilot only works at 4800), but it is one of several reasons why I waited for the 2150 to come out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The GX2150 fixed the primary issue of requiring 3 unidirectional ports (1.5 bidirectional) because it needed a mix of 4800 and 38400 when talking to some devices. The GX2150 is also a lot of money though.

The Lowrance Link 8 appears to have the same basic feature set, doesn't have the NMEA headaches of the GX2100, and is less money than the GX2150 (or even less than the GX2100 was when it was being heavily discounted).

The Simrad RS35 is about the same price as the GX2150, but has the option of a nice wireless remote mic.

Both also talk NMEA 2000 (CAN Bus), not only 0183 (RS422/RS485/hacked RS232).
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8wi9 View Post
Why do you say that? Have there been lots of complaints? If it really is busted, then no amount of fiddling on my part will work. As I said in my first post, the computer claimed it was connected to the bluetooth adapter that's added to the radio. The adapter light stayed solid blue also, but the radio wasn't communicating with seaclear.

Jim
I think he's overly negative. The SH radio uses an older NMEA 0183 protocol, and lacks the easy plug-and-play hookup of NMEA 2000. But if you're trying to interface with older instruments that lack the NMEA 2000 anyway (as I was), it's irrelevant. If I were trying to install a brand new turnkey system with the latest specs, I would get a VHF/DSC/AIS system with NMEA 2000. But that's not my situation, and I suspect it's not yours either.

Without knowing anything about your bluetooth adapter, I can't help much. The blue light might mean that computer is connected, but that may not mean that the adapter is set properly to get NMEA from the radio. What does the configuration software for your bluetooth adapter say? As I said already, I bet it's set to communicate at 9600 by default, and you need to change it to 4800.

I seriously doubt that your radio is malfunctioning or otherwise "busted." It's not the snazzy new NMEA 2000 protocol, but it works fine once it's configured properly, as demonstrated in this other thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 02-19-2013

gr8wi9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Without knowing anything about your bluetooth adapter,...
I have the same US Converters adapter that you have.

Serial Bluetooth Adapter (UCBT232B)
USB Bluetooth Dongle 100 FT (BLDONG)

I also downloaded Toshiba drivers from their site, so maybe that's what's in their stuff. I'll check the baud rate and port settings again. That's probably it.

Thanks again for the tips.
Old 02-19-2013
always busy with sailing

It's not just NMEA 0183 vs NMEA 2000, it is their weird choice to have two output ports on the radio, one of which sends different sentences then the other. They "fixed" that on the GX2150 if you configure it at 38400. If you configure it at 4800 then one port talks 4800 and the other talks 38400, and they each send different sentences.

To work with your bluetooth adapter (which only has one serial input line) you'd need to configure the radio at 38400. If you configure it for 4800 then you won't get the AIS sentences, only the DSC ones. This is on page 16 of the manual.

Their NMEA 0183 implementation is weird in many respects. That doesn't mean that the device doesn't work, it does when properly interfaced. They just made it harder than necessary to interface with it. I'm glad that they invented the market segment, and I'm glad that other companies are coming out with better options in this market segment.
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
It's not just NMEA 0183 vs NMEA 2000, it is their weird choice to have two output ports on the radio, one of which sends different sentences then the other. They "fixed" that on the GX2150 if you configure it at 38400. If you configure it at 4800 then one port talks 4800 and the other talks 38400, and they each send different sentences.

To work with your bluetooth adapter (which only has one serial input line) you'd need to configure the radio at 38400. If you configure it for 4800 then you won't get the AIS sentences, only the DSC ones. This is on page 16 of the manual...
You are reading the wrong manual. This guy has a HX 851. You should do your homework before misleading him any more.

As for the GX 2100, your argument that sending different sentences outputs is incorrect. I have it working perfectly with 2 Bluetooth adapters. Click the link that I showed above to see how.

Old 02-19-2013
always busy with sailing

I'm sorry to cause confusion about the HX 851. I missed that part and saw references to the GX21xx. I've never looked at the HX 851.

You are using 38400, which I noted does send all sentences out of one NMEA port. At 4800 it does not. This is covered in the GX2150 manual on pages 16 and 17.
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
...You are using 38400, which I noted does send all sentences out of one NMEA port. At 4800 it does not. This is covered in the GX2150 manual on pages 16 and 17.
I have NOT configured my GX2150 in the way you say. The GX2150 gives you the option of multiplexing both AIS and DSC onto one wire (the gray one) at 38400. But you do not have to do that. You can instead opt to send the signals out the same way as done the GX2100, with DSC/DSE on the grey wire at 4800 and AIS on the brown wire at 38400. That is how I have my radio set up, and it has been working perfectly fine with my computer chartplotter for the past two years. The reasons I chose to do that are complicated and I don't have time to explain right now. But bottom line, I could plop your GX2100 into my boat and it would work in exactly the same way. Contrary to what you say, I am not currently taking advantage of the GX2150's option to multiplex DSC and AIS onto one port.

As for this guy's HX851, he simply needs one full duplex COM port, probably at 4800 (since his manual does not list any options). The GPS sentences simply go out the charging cradle to the Bluetooth adapter, which gets mapped to an emulated COM port in his computer.

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-19-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8wi9 View Post
I have the same US Converters adapter that you have.

Serial Bluetooth Adapter (UCBT232B)
USB Bluetooth Dongle 100 FT (BLDONG)

I also downloaded Toshiba drivers from their site, so maybe that's what's in their stuff. I'll check the baud rate and port settings again. That's probably it.

Thanks again for the tips.
Sorry, there have been numerous Bluetooth adapters mentioned in this thread and I did not know which one you had. I do have two by US Converters, but they are the BT433 industrial strength versions.

You are going to have to make full use of the documentation and utilities that they provide on their website. Also look at their utilities To configure the Bluetooth adapter, you need to install terminal emulation (their Teraterm program works fine). Unfortunately you are going to have to issue command-line commands using the AT format familiar to those of us who were alive back in the day of telephone modems.

To connect your computer to the adapter for configuration, you will either need a serial cable (if you have an ancient computer with actual COM ports) or more likely a USB-Serial adapter. Be sure to have a gender changer handy - you may need it. (The industrial version of the adapter that I bought came with the gender changer, which is part of the reason I bought it. US Converters does sell them separately if you need one.)

The datasheet for your Bluetooth adapter says quite clearly that it defaults to 19200 baud, so you will have to set your terminal emulator to 19200 to establish communications. Once you've established communications, the command you need to send is ATL0. This will set the serial port to 4800. You will immediately lose communications, because you'll need to reset your terminal emulator to 4800 to re-establish communications. I'm 90% certain this is the speed your HX851 uses. If that doesn't work, try 38400 (ATL3), since that's the second most common speed for NMEA communications (though the NMEA 0183 specification technically only formally supports 4800).

Old 02-19-2013

You are also going to have to do some research into DCE vs. DTE modes so you'll know how to set the switch on your adapter. I cannot remember which setting is correct for this device to work properly, and my adapters are down on the boat. These are some of the more cryptic aspects of RS232 communications, and I only learn them long enough to configure my new gadgets once every 10 years or so.