Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: NMEA over Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8wi9 View Post
...To connect your computer to the adapter for configuration, you will either need a serial cable (if you have an ancient computer with actual COM ports) or more likely a USB-Serial adapter. Be sure to have a gender changer handy - you may need it. (The industrial version of the adapter that I bought came with the gender changer, which is part of the reason I bought it. US Converters does sell them separately if you need one.)
On second thought, before you scrounge together all these cables, you might try to see if you can configure the RS232 port through a Bluetooth connection (since your blue light is illuminated). You need to figure out what COM port your Bluetooth driver is emulating and what baud rate it's set at. Then you can launch TeraTerm, set it for that COM and baud, and see what happens. If you have communications, then you should be able to issue the AT commands wirelessly through Bluetooth. However, every time you change the baud rate with an ATL command, you may lose your connection. I can't remember whether this adapter requires both baud rates to be the same, or whether it can have the RS232 side at a different baud rate from the Bluetooth side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I have NOT configured my GX2150 in the way you say. The GX2150 gives you the option of multiplexing both AIS and DSC onto one wire (the gray one) at 38400. But you do not have to do that. You can instead opt to send the signals out the same way as done the GX2100, with DSC/DSE on the grey wire at 4800 and AIS on the brown wire at 38400.
In this drawing you are using 38400 for both:

If you are using a different configuration then I don't see it in the thread that you referenced. In none of your drawings did I see that you were mixing those two outputs. I did actually read what you referenced.

Few, if any, serial devices are going to handle a mix of data coming at 4800 and 38400 on the same line. Multiplexing by joining two signals, one 4800 and one 38400, with no logic in between, is going to be a mess. If the devices don't talk at the same time there is a small chance of it working (if the downstream device can automatically adapt the baud rate), but if they do talk at the same time then you will get garbage.
Old 02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
In this drawing you are using 38400 for both:

If you are using a different configuration then I don't see it in the thread that you referenced. In none of your drawings did I see that you were mixing those two outputs. I did actually read what you referenced.

Few, if any, serial devices are going to handle a mix of data coming at 4800 and 38400 on the same line. Multiplexing by joining two signals, one 4800 and one 38400, with no logic in between, is going to be a mess. If the devices don't talk at the same time there is a small chance of it working (if the downstream device can automatically adapt the baud rate), but if they do talk at the same time then you will get garbage.
That drawing is my current configuration. I am not using 38400 for both. You can see clearly in the upper left part of the diagram that AIS goes out of the radio at 38400, but GPS goes into the radio at 4800 - just like it would on your GX2100. (They are on separate wires, of course. The arrows connecting the block diagram together do not represent wires.) But the two signals are never mixed at any point. There is no multiplexer in the system.

The DSC wire is not connected at the moment (that's why it's not shown in the diagram), because at the time I set this up OpenCPN did not display DSC locations. The most recent revision of OpenCPN (still in beta) does display DSC locations, so I may consider turning on the radio's multiplexer and sending both AIS and DSC out at 38400. But my radio has never received a single DSC call in the past 2 years, so I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 02-20-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I was talking about the GX2100 being broken by having two output signals with different NMEA sentences at different baud rates. Having the input be at 4800 and the output be at 38400 isn't that weird (outside of PCs) and isn't the GX2100 concern that I raised.
Old 02-20-2013

gr8wi9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
On second thought, before you scrounge together all these cables, you might try to see if you can configure the RS232 port through a Bluetooth connection (since your blue light is illuminated). You need to figure out what COM port your Bluetooth driver is emulating and what baud rate it's set at. Then you can launch TeraTerm, set it for that COM and baud, and see what happens. If you have communications, then you should be able to issue the AT commands wirelessly through Bluetooth. However, every time you change the baud rate with an ATL command, you may lose your connection. I can't remember whether this adapter requires both baud rates to be the same, or whether it can have the RS232 side at a different baud rate from the Bluetooth side.
They do mention it can be configured over bluetooth, but the instructions are not at all clear to me. Maybe the ticket is to reset the adapter, then power it up and get the computer's bluetooth running at the same rate. I'll see what happens that way. When I try it through my usb comm port cable adapter, I can see the cable as a port, but I don't see the bluetooth adapter on the other side of the cable.
Old 02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8wi9 View Post
...When I try it through my usb comm port cable adapter, I can see the cable as a port, but I don't see the bluetooth adapter on the other side of the cable.
I think that is normal behavior. The AT commands only affect the settings for the COM side of the adapter. The settings for the Bluetooth side are only adjusted through the Bluetooth driver software (Toshiba, BlueSoliel, etc.)