Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-14-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Maptech Navigation

I've had Maptech's 'Off Shore Navigator' program for years..but when they changed hands..things went down hill. What used to be free Tides and Currents updates went by the way side.. Yes I know it costs money to provide such info..but you try and update and get errors and try to get tech support..you waite for hours..you try and get on-line support and their server is down. Makes me want to go to another mapping provider..

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
this is free and uses free noaa charts. just a thought:

SeaClear Offers Free Marine Navigation Software: Chart Plotter Designed for PCs, Uses Free NOAA Charts

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 01-14-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Maptech was just a rebranded version of Coastal Explorer from Rosepoint Navigator. Rosepoint has an "upgrade" program to switch to their software. We use it extensively and I highly recommend it. In addition to excellent navigation capabilities, instrument integration, etc., they have also integrated it with ActiveCaptain so you can get a ton of info about anchorages, marinas, local knowledge, etc. even when offline.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-14-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Maptech was just a rebranded version of Coastal Explorer from Rosepoint Navigator. Rosepoint has an "upgrade" program to switch to their software. We use it extensively and I highly recommend it. In addition to excellent navigation capabilities, instrument integration, etc., they have also integrated it with ActiveCaptain so you can get a ton of info about anchorages, marinas, local knowledge, etc. even when offline.
that active captian site is really neat.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 01-14-2011
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
I like Offshore Navigator. The tech guy was very helpful when we were setting up a second (backup) computer with Windows 7. This was back in May, so maybe things have changed?
Old 01-14-2011
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Maptech Navigator is not a rebranded CE. It was a separate product when it existed.
Old 01-14-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
I've used Offshore Navigator for many years. While it has a few quirks and lacks some features of other nav programs for computers, I really don't have a need to go to anything else. It does everything I need it to.

MapTech offered a special this year on the Tides and Currents CD update: $19.95 with free mailing.

I installed it on my laptop aboard -- which is actually used for navigation on the water -- and on this desktop computer at home which is used for planning.

Flawless install...no problems.

Never had the need for MapTech technical support, so I can't comment on that.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 01-14-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2011

MaptechNavigationCS is on a distinguished road
Maptech Navigation 2011

HI Folks.

Here are some answers and clarifications.

When "Maptech Inc" was sold in 2008, there were some policys we were able to keep and some did not make business sense. There was only 1 year where a "tides only" update was offered for free...... late 2007 early 2008 (immediately after the company sale was announced).
You're right, it does cost money to create distribute and support products. We did offer a $20/free shipping special at the end of 2010 for the opportunity to get 2011 Tides. Keep in mind that if a 2011 Chart Update (all US waters) is purchased, the tides are included "FREE" as part of that package. Maptech Navigation adds data/information to the base NOAA chart for added value. The DVD is also pre-formatted in the correct file folder/file structure for easy integration into Maptech software and many others too.

9/10 the reason a tides update will not load properly or get "errors" is due to virus protection. If it is not fully disabled it may not load all the files necessary and cause issues. In fact, there is a dedicated technical bulletin in the support section of the website that specifically addresses this issue.

We would encourage all users to use the website "support" section as there is alot of valuable information contained there.

We do not believe in leaving customers "on-hold" so we ask that a message be left. We do our best for a timely response, however if you feel you have waited a "longer than necessary" period of time, We would suggest you call customer service (978-834-9950) as the CS reps do have some technical knowledge or can make sure your URGENT request be processed on a fast track. In addition emails can be used as a support mechanism as well.

Maptech Navigation's Offshore Naviagtor Software is NOT rebranded version of anyones software. OSN is a tried and true Maptech written/developed and updated software program which still exists and has been updated several times since our purchase of the Maptech Digital Assets in 2008. We have added in some exciting new features such as enhanced AIS, interactive 3D nav aids, chart warping and more. The new OSN 6.0 is the software engine we now use in our Chart Navigator Pro package.

We recently had a major snowstorm here in the NE which knocked out power to our offices including our website server, we apologize for any inconvience this may have caused and appreciate everyones understanding during this time.

Finally, keep the comments coming. We're not perfect and will always listen to suggestions for making our products better. As a smaller company than what was "Maptech Inc", we may not have extra people waiting for the phone to ring but we are committed to better, safer navigation for everyone.

Stop by our boat show booths and say "hello"
Old 01-15-2011
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
As a Maptech user, thank you for taking the time to post. It's good to know you guys care, and are there for us if needed. Have a great 2011!

We used Offshore Navigator on our trip from Green Cove Springs, Florida to Cartagena Colombia this past spring. It worked flawlessly, and allowed us to make port in Cartagena, and find an anchorage at 3 am.

Ralph
Old 01-16-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaptechNavigationCS View Post
HI Folks.

Here are some answers and clarifications.

When "Maptech Inc" was sold in 2008, there were some policys we were able to keep and some did not make business sense. There was only 1 year where a "tides only" update was offered for free...... late 2007 early 2008 (immediately after the company sale was announced).
You're right, it does cost money to create distribute and support products. We did offer a $20/free shipping special at the end of 2010 for the opportunity to get 2011 Tides. Keep in mind that if a 2011 Chart Update (all US waters) is purchased, the tides are included "FREE" as part of that package. Maptech Navigation adds data/information to the base NOAA chart for added value. The DVD is also pre-formatted in the correct file folder/file structure for easy integration into Maptech software and many others too.

9/10 the reason a tides update will not load properly or get "errors" is due to virus protection. If it is not fully disabled it may not load all the files necessary and cause issues. In fact, there is a dedicated technical bulletin in the support section of the website that specifically addresses this issue.

We would encourage all users to use the website "support" section as there is alot of valuable information contained there.

We do not believe in leaving customers "on-hold" so we ask that a message be left. We do our best for a timely response, however if you feel you have waited a "longer than necessary" period of time, We would suggest you call customer service (978-834-9950) as the CS reps do have some technical knowledge or can make sure your URGENT request be processed on a fast track. In addition emails can be used as a support mechanism as well.

Maptech Navigation's Offshore Naviagtor Software is NOT rebranded version of anyones software. OSN is a tried and true Maptech written/developed and updated software program which still exists and has been updated several times since our purchase of the Maptech Digital Assets in 2008. We have added in some exciting new features such as enhanced AIS, interactive 3D nav aids, chart warping and more. The new OSN 6.0 is the software engine we now use in our Chart Navigator Pro package.

We recently had a major snowstorm here in the NE which knocked out power to our offices including our website server, we apologize for any inconvience this may have caused and appreciate everyones understanding during this time.

Finally, keep the comments coming. We're not perfect and will always listen to suggestions for making our products better. As a smaller company than what was "Maptech Inc", we may not have extra people waiting for the phone to ring but we are committed to better, safer navigation for everyone.

Stop by our boat show booths and say "hello"
..called at approx. 11am..though your literature that came with the DVD said your open at 10 am..there was no response so left several messages. Called your Hot 800 Sales line finally got someone who basically left a message with tech support. Received a call back from tech support around 3:30pm stating turn off virus protection..which I don't have on my boat pc..which by-the-way was not included on the DVD instructions. Tried on line support at 10:40 am today,but got 'server is down' response.

We're Sorry...
An error on our server has occurred which prevents us from completing your request.
We have logged the following information that will help us identify and correct the problem:

* Error occurred at 11:01:08 01/16/11 (by-the-way your server clock is off if your on the East Coast)
* Your IP address is (left out intentionally)
* Your browser is (left out intentionally)
* You came from https://register.maptechnavigation.c...5&action=login
* You tried to go to //authentication/newAccount.verify.cfm

Responded several times to previous emails, to sales that I had correspondence with, requesting an RMA..still waiting for response to my request..

Last edited by aa3jy; 01-16-2011 at 09:42 AM.