Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-27-2011

sapo is on a distinguished road
Raymarine Fluxgate Compass?

My autopilot won't correct properly for deviation, so I've bought a 'like new' fluxgate compass off e-bay, with hope that it will solve the problem. When this arrived it has a piece loose inside, that I can hear shifting when I (gently) shake it. Is this normal for these units, or a problem?
Thanks
el Sapo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2011

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
Raymarines fluxgate compass has a gimbled weight that rattles when shaken, this is normal. To test if the fluxgate is OK there is a simple resistance test.

Between the following cables measure the resistance, they should be

Red to Green: 4-10 ohms
Red to Yellow: 4-10 ohms
Green to Yellow: 8-10 ohms
Screen to Blue: 8-10 ohms
all other combinations are OC

When doing the circles to calibrate the compass, you need to turn cirles that take about 2 minutes to complete, choose a day that with very little wave action or wind and make the circles as near perfect as possible, you need a minimum of two circles but it can take more - Be patient

The location of the compass is very important, make sure it is not located near electrical cables or where tinned foods, drinks or cooking pots are located, this will change the magnewtic signature of the boat and make it difficult to calibrate.

Bob
Old 01-28-2011

Great response, thanks. I did my circles slow and as described, and it was unable to compensate for the deviation. The fluxgate was located close to the bilge pump, but when I removed the pump and re-ran the test, it still wouldn't come up OK. Will run the resistance test, on both units . . .
Thanks
Brian (el Sapo)
Old 01-28-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
How far from your engine is the fluxgate?

If it is within a metre, the engine will present a different magnetic profile every time you run it that will influence the fluxgate.

I know this because I had mine located so and after buying a new one, it had to be moved to a new location where it is now perfect and I also have a working spare fluxgate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-28-2011

mine's about 10' from the engine, so . . .

how serious is it, to locate it close to the vessel centerline?

thanks
el sapo
Old 02-06-2011
USCG 100T Master/Sail/Tow

sailndoug is on a distinguished road
I found this discussion and have the same problem. My seatrial calibration could not get past the first step. I went in a slow circle for 45 minutes. People must have thought the captain died at the wheel, ha! The screen never changed, just kept telling me to circle. After that long time I figured the system is locked up. How about it, any ideas? I'll call Raymarine tomorrow and see what they say but wanted to get "hands on" answers if possible. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-06-2011

The circling part of the calibration does take time and you have to be patient. The display will tell you if you're going too fast and if you maintain about a knot and a half you may have to to do two full circles before the system reacts.

Try it again and just keep at it. It will work. As long as the little circling arrows are still going, the system is still working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapo View Post
mine's about 10' from the engine, so . . .

how serious is it, to locate it close to the vessel centerline?

thanks
el sapo
I don't believe that being close to the centreline is an issue. My fluxgate is about a foot off the centreline and works just fine.

10 feet from the engine is also OK. Mine isn't that far away now, it's about 6 feet.

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-07-2011

BeachCruiser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailndoug View Post
I found this discussion and have the same problem. My seatrial calibration could not get past the first step. I went in a slow circle for 45 minutes. People must have thought the captain died at the wheel, ha! The screen never changed, just kept telling me to circle. After that long time I figured the system is locked up. How about it, any ideas? I'll call Raymarine tomorrow and see what they say but wanted to get "hands on" answers if possible. Thanks for any help!
I just went through this with a friend on his boat. The fluxgate compass was DOA. Check the compass using the Raymarine's troubleshooting document. We replaced the fluxgate and it only took 2 circles to calibrate.

Barry
s/v Beach Cruiser
Old 02-07-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem on a new installation of a Raymarine system. Root cause(s):

1. The compass was located by the builder near a deck wash pump.
2. The internal gimbal was broken (DOA).

We needed to replace and relocate, then everything worked fine.