Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2011

luv4sailin is on a distinguished road
Can my SSB Blow up my autopilot?

I just installed a new SSB, a 100 amp max unit, on my sloop and the reception was great. Today I broadcast for the 1st time and someone 500 miles away said they heard me loud and clear. So I decided to go for a sail to celebrate. Motoring out to the bay I engaged my Alpha 3000 autopilot, and she was not happy (and neither was I). She is off 120* from the ships compass, and when I move the dial to go to port she steers the boat to starboard and visa versa. And if I call for a significant course change she does a 360! The SSB was off during all of this, and the autopilot was off during my SSB transmission.

Could there be a connection between my autopilot problem and my SSB? I have heard that while the autopilot is steering, an SSB transmission can cause it to misbehave, but when one was on the other was off. Could my SSB transmission and the resulting RF toasted my autopilot compass? I have check all autopilot connections and made sure that all things on the boat are stored when they always have been. The only thing near the fluxgate compass is one of the radials in the bilge, but I'm told that with 2 dynaplates, this should not have wacked my compass. This autopilot is the greatest and has been the single best thing I have ever purchased for my boat. It is conceivable that the autopilot failure is not related to the SSB, but the Alpha has been so reliable that I doubt it. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
With stray RF, just about anything is possible. Unfortunately. It's conceivable that the RF got into the autopilot electronics, not just the fluxgate compass. Kinda sounds like that to me, since the controls seem to be working in reverse.

One large builder of high-end trawlers had continuing problems with SSB radios affecting their autopilots. Reportedly, they cured them by installing a different RF ground (the KISS-SSB radial ground system).

On my own boat, I once had a setup wherein I merely had to push the mic button, not even transmit, in order for the SSB to turn on the fan on my Espar diesel heating system!

How to avoid all that? Run cables as far from others as possible. Use ferrites liberally on all signal, power, and control cables. Wire the SSB directly to the house batteries, not thru a panel, with appropriate CPDs located near the batteries. Use an isolator, like those made by Radio Works. Be sure the RF ground is not connected to the boat's DC ground, AC ground, lightning ground, or bonding ground systems. Ensure that all connections are clean and tight. Pray.

It's possible, of course, that the Alpha is acting up on its own, unrelated to your SSB transmission. Check the rudder feedback mechanism and cable.

Good luck,

Bill
Old 01-29-2011

windward54 is on a distinguished road
I have a friend that has this going on, so you are not alone. I bought him a handful of ferrites to install and we are going to take a look at his ground system. But also, you might want to check all your antenna lines and connectors. On my last boat, I had a section of GTO-15 wick up some moisture and the result was I got a lot of RF on some bands but not all. Caused a lot of really strange results from all sorts of lights going off to interferrence with my chartplotter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.