OK - I have to pipe in here. I have:
- a stupid Garmin 441, bless it's heart**
- moving map software - FUGAWI, but that is not an issue
Garmin only talks to itself and I am not sure if it even does that. If it does, I dont think it always listens.
To move a route from FUGAWI to the Garmin 441, here are my steps:
- Open FUGAWI (my moving map software)
- Choose and open route
- Click on "Export" and do it as GPS Exchange format - GPX
- A new screen will appear - click OK
- Open GPS Utility
- Open the saved route (must be GPX format - you will see way points)
- Save it as Garmin (Adm) - it will change the name to UserData.ADM
- Use card a SD to transfer.
OK - when you do the transfer make sure you specify Merge or you loose all your existing routes and waypoints.
Also - once you reach your maximum number of routes ("You can create and store up to 20 routes, with up to 250 way points each." - page 23 of the manual) it is a good idea to do a "Save to card" - it shows up as just two files but they contain all 20 routes and the appropriate way points. I put these in their own folder on my computer called "Bay of Fundy" and it will be there as "UserData.ADM and UserData.BAK. So, I have a nuimber of little folders for different areas. Each contains two files with those two names, but one contains 20 routes from area A and the next one contains 20 routes from area B etc etc. So, when I go into area B I move those two files onto the SD Card into a folder
Garmin / UserData /
When you start, you end up moving them one at a time by SD card.
So - if I can help at all - PM me.
** Oh - I learned from my Southern Baptist friends that you can say anything nasty that you want about someone or something as long as you add "Bless her heart" For example - "She sure has put on weight, bless her heart." Hence, my nasty comments about my own Garmin 441.