SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Autohelm ST4000 Wheel pilot (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/72279-autohelm-st4000-wheel-pilot.html)

LouAnn34 02-23-2011 07:52 AM

Autohelm ST4000 Wheel pilot

Greetings all,

Looking for advise and suggestions.

Last weekend the Wheel Pilot (black model) would not disengage on my 34 foot sailboat. The lever would move but nothing would happen. Steering was difficult so I removed the wheel pilot from the helm while underway.

1. Are instructions or exploded diagrams available for this model?

2. Where would I find replacement parts?

3. Should I upgrade the wheel pilot? If so, which wheel pilot is a direct replacement. Sources? Prices? I do not want to swap out the control head or flux gate compass.

Thanks for your help.

CaptKermie 02-23-2011 11:16 AM

I had something similar happen to mine when it was fairly new, I have the ST4000 MKII+. I dis-engaged the lever but the belt kept grabbing and made steering very difficult and so I pulled back into my slip and took the steering component apart. I flushed it all out with fresh water, let it dry and re-assembled it after which it worked just fine. I think maybe it just got some salt corrosion or build up in the wrong places and a good flushing cleared it out. The belt itself may require a good cleaning or even replacement, hard to say, but I would start out by giving every part a good cleaning and inspection before buying a new one.

Faster 02-23-2011 12:59 PM

Those black drive rings are not very well engineered... it's possible a few of the plastic wheels that center the ring and help hold the two halves are broken.

By all means try CK's idea first, but then you may have to split the halves (they do pop apart - do it gently or you may break some rollers if they're not already bad) and have a look inside.

I believe the newer (gray) drive assemblies are available separately - I remember seeing them on the Sailnet store site... you might try that if you can't fix what you have. Raymarine does not support service for the older rings and you can't get parts. The new ones are much more robust, fewer plastic bits, and more adaptable to varieties in spoke diameter and placement.

CaptainDan99 02-23-2011 10:22 PM

There is a small metal pin that goes through the black clutch lever into a metal post. Move the lever and see if the metal post turn. If not, the pin has sheared. There are also pins that hold the same post to the clutch cam but you cannot get to them without disassembling the lever mechanism.

LouAnn34 02-24-2011 05:27 AM

Hello everyone and thanks for your suggestions. I have located an exploded diagram and will take apart this weekend.

RecoveringRacer 02-24-2011 10:08 AM

Although Raymarine is poor at supporting older products, I have a contact with a fairly large inventory of parts for older Autohelm/Raymarine autopilots who also does repairs--he also bought my remaining inventory when I retired. Very few of his items are listed on eBay, but you can contact him there through the ID kodiakjack99.

LouAnn34 02-24-2011 10:32 AM

Hi and thanks for the contact information.

erps 02-25-2011 06:09 PM

We're replacing our Autohelm 4000 in the next couple of weeks. It's tired so I wouldn't feel right about selling it, but I could send it your way and you could decide what it's worth to you.

Faster 02-25-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 702301)
We're replacing our Autohelm 4000 in the next couple of weeks. It's tired so I wouldn't feel right about selling it, but I could send it your way and you could decide what it's worth to you.

Good on ya, Ray!! :)

LouAnn34 02-28-2011 08:19 AM

Hi Ray,

If not already taken ...

Maybe I could use for parts?

What are you replacing with?

I could forward payment for shipping.

My email address is HHJordan AT aol DOT com.