Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-03-2011

waynemk is on a distinguished road
Pulling transponder cables

My speed/depth unit has given up the fight. I am fine installing the replacement thruhulls but i am unclear of what the best way is to pull the leads thru 15-20 feet of conduit with a ton of bends and twists.

I assume i can use the remains of the old system to pull the new lines. My concern is that i only get to pull it once. My impression is that there is a corregated 1 inch tube that runs aft between the hull and liner. I have not yet pulled hard on the leads at the head unit end to see if they will move at all.

Suggestions or links?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Attach a messenger line to the old leads and then pull the lines out... and use the messenger line to pull the new leads back through. Coating the wires with McLube SailKote will help a lot.

Parachute cord makes good messenger line...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2011

micheck is on a distinguished road
Pull two messenger lines (at the same time) so you will still have one when the first hangs and breaks
Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheck View Post
Pull two messenger lines (at the same time) so you will still have one when the first hangs and breaks
Pulling two lines is a good idea...and if you use the right cord for the messenger lines, it won't hang up or break.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-04-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It may be possible to use the original wire as a messenger to pull the new through - though creating a compact temporary splice can be a challenge. Also any fittings/cable ends can complicate this procedure.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

Yes, but this generally doesn't work for transducer wires, which are usually affixed to the transducer at one end, and must come into the wiring conduit via the transducer end. Unless you're cutting the wire at the old transducer, it can't be used to pull wire in the proper direction—transducer to instrument display—so you generally need a messenger line. I don't recommend cutting the transducer wires, even on the old transducer, because they might still be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
It may be possible to use the original wire as a messenger to pull the new through - though creating a compact temporary splice can be a challenge. Also any fittings/cable ends can complicate this procedure.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-04-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Also be aware of warranty issues. I recently installed a whole bank of new Raymarine and every transducer had dire warnings regarding the fate of my warranty if the cables are in any way stretched due to pulling them thru.

I would go with the thinnest strongest cord you can find (if ever I had a logical application for Dyneema, this would be it) because if the joint between the old cable and the new one parts halfway down the tube, the nightmare really begins.

SD, if a messenger doesn't already exist, the old transducer line is your only choice. And why would you want to save it if the transducer is being replaced? BTW check your first post and then your last?? I don't get it.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

There is nothing contradictory between my first and most recent posts... In the first I say:

Quote:
Attach a messenger line to the old leads and then pull the lines out... and use the messenger line to pull the new leads back through. Coating the wires with McLube SailKote will help a lot.
Which means that you attach a messenger line to the wires at the DISPLAY END and pull the messenger back through to the TRANSDUCER SIDE, which is also pretty much what I say in my most recent post.

Quote:
Yes, but this generally doesn't work for transducer wires, which are usually affixed to the transducer at one end, and must come into the wiring conduit via the transducer end. Unless you're cutting the wire at the old transducer, it can't be used to pull wire in the proper direction—transducer to instrument display—so you generally need a messenger line. I don't recommend cutting the transducer wires, even on the old transducer, because they might still be useful.
The reason I don't recommend always cutting the wires, which you would need to do to use them as the messenger to pull the new transducer wires through is that you might be upgrading and may want to sell the old gear if it is in working order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Also be aware of warranty issues. I recently installed a whole bank of new Raymarine and every transducer had dire warnings regarding the fate of my warranty if the cables are in any way stretched due to pulling them thru.

I would go with the thinnest strongest cord you can find (if ever I had a logical application for Dyneema, this would be it) because if the joint between the old cable and the new one parts halfway down the tube, the nightmare really begins.

SD, if a messenger doesn't already exist, the old transducer line is your only choice. And why would you want to save it if the transducer is being replaced? BTW check your first post and then your last?? I don't get it.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-04-2011

waynemk is on a distinguished road
I appreciate the feedback. I am guessing the suggestion is to not use the wire to pull wire. So actually pull twice? Once to remove old and pull messenger and a second to pull new leads. Ideally leaving an extra messenger for future use.

I will use a plastic twine that my trade guys at work use to pull line in long haul elec/data conduit as a messenger line. I have seen them pull 3 or 4 hundred feet of Ethernet thru PACKED conduit with tons of bends. I was planning on sacrificing the existing transponder leads to pull the twine since they are non-functioning.
Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemk View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I am guessing the suggestion is to not use the wire to pull wire. So actually pull twice? Once to remove old and pull messenger and a second to pull new leads. Ideally leaving an extra messenger for future use.
Exactly...

Quote:
I will use a plastic twine that my trade guys at work use to pull line in long haul elec/data conduit as a messenger line. I have seen them pull 3 or 4 hundred feet of Ethernet thru PACKED conduit with tons of bends. I was planning on sacrificing the existing transponder leads to pull the twine since they are non-functioning.
Probably a good choice, since it was purpose designed for conduit messenger line by the sounds of it.

I'd be very surprised if the depth/temp transducer was dead...they are close to indestructible, and the displays usually die first.

Telstar 28
New England