Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-08-2013

kwiggy is on a distinguished road
Re: Autohelm ST4000 Plus problems

Thanks for that info szigi. That all makes sense.

I did actually end up getting in touch with a Raymarine tech guy here in Australia, but he knew very little about it & his advice was for me to buy a new one. I sent a message to Raymarine on their website, but they never responded.

I'll pull it apart this week & have a look.

Thanks for all the advice
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2013

melvyn.trigg is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have experienced the same problems with my ST4000+ Head unit, which is installed on my recently purchased Catalina 36 Mk II. The 'Low Battery warning would kick in after a short period, forcing you to switch back on to 'Standby'.

Fortunately I had a the original ST4000 unit, which I replaced. This cured the problem. The ST4000+ was returned to Raymarine UK, along with the drive unit for examination. Raymarine told me that the processor in the head unit was faulty and that as these units are now obsolete, they do not carry the parts to replace it, and if they could, it would cost around £400.00. They did offer me a discount on a new wheel pilot for around £1100.00.

So for now I shall be using the original ST4000 Head.
Old 02-18-2013

cas206 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if they really mean the processor, or if that is just a general statement they make to avoid fixing it. My unit had the low battery problem. Here is what I was able to determine on mine. The processor has a "buzzer" output line which is logic level 5 volt pulses. This drives an inverter which acts as a buffer. That in turn drives a transistor that creates 12 volt pulses from the 5 volt pulses. The 12 volt pulses feed a charge pump/voltage doubler to provide 24 volt bias on one of the power MOSFETs. This MOSFET switches closed to provide 12 volts to power the H-bridge driving the motor and the output clutch circuit (whatever that is used for). In my device, the BAV99 (I think that's the nomenclature, going from memory) dual diode package was bad. The result was that only 12 volts was biasing the MOSFET so that it did not switch closed to power the H-bridge. I was able to replace it and get mine operational again. Before I did that though, I removed that MOSFET and jumpered the 12 volts from 12 volts external to 12 volts internal to check that everything else was operating normally.
Old 02-18-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post
I wonder if they really mean the processor, or if that is just a general statement they make to avoid fixing it. My unit had the low battery problem. Here is what I was able to determine on mine. The processor has a "buzzer" output line which is logic level 5 volt pulses. This drives an inverter which acts as a buffer. That in turn drives a transistor that creates 12 volt pulses from the 5 volt pulses. The 12 volt pulses feed a charge pump/voltage doubler to provide 24 volt bias on one of the power MOSFETs. This MOSFET switches closed to provide 12 volts to power the H-bridge driving the motor and the output clutch circuit (whatever that is used for). In my device, the BAV99 (I think that's the nomenclature, going from memory) dual diode package was bad. The result was that only 12 volts was biasing the MOSFET so that it did not switch closed to power the H-bridge. I was able to replace it and get mine operational again. Before I did that though, I removed that MOSFET and jumpered the 12 volts from 12 volts external to 12 volts internal to check that everything else was operating normally.
Yeah, what he said!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)