Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-08-2011

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth GPS - fact or fiction?

I recently heard a rumor about the existence of a GPS that sends data via bluetooth and that the theory goes, one can position this GPS on their boat and receive coordinates on their iPod through the bluetooth. This would mimick the same navigation abilities of the iPhone using Navionics but the iPod would receive data through bluetooth whereas the iPhone has its' own built in GPS. Has anyone else heard of this new technology and believe it is doable? It would certainly make the iPod more functional.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Here's the one I have:

It's an Ambicom BT-GPS. It's about the size of a box of Tic-Tacs, or slightly larger. I don't know it it's still available, but it works fine with my Mac PowerBook. If you do a Google search for "BT GPS" you'll get dozens of hits for various newer models.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 06-09-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
While my Ipad does have a built in GPS receiver (some models do not), I bought this bluetooth receiver as I was concerned about signal reliability if I was using it below deck. In particular, I wanted to be sure the anchor alarm would work, as running this device instead of the anchor alarm on the chartplotter, would not drain my house batts all night long.

So far, I've been impressed with how unnecessary it has been given the reception of the built in receiver.

Amazon.com: GNS 5870 MFI GPS Bt Receiver "WAAS" Enabled: Electronics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-28-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
I recently heard a rumor about the existence of a GPS that sends data via bluetooth ... Has anyone else heard of this new technology and believe it is doable? It would certainly make the iPod more functional.
As noted above, it's not so new. About 6 years ago I bought a Garmin software package for our laptop and a bluetooth GPS puck came with it. Since the Iphone, the laptop navigation (it was for the car) is no longer used and we use the bluetooth GPS puck on the boat with our netbook for navigating. I set it on the nav station below when it started raining and it still picked up signals. Normally it sits on the cabin top under the dodger.

I think now you can get a GPS puck from Best Buy for about $40 (or less, it's been a year since I last looked).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne