Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2012

SinbadOz is on a distinguished road
Re: Garmin GPS 72H and VMG?

Steve

I too gave up on Garmin Support - the solution came by pure chance from another skipper with a 72H!

Several of the round-the-bouys courses we sail use at least one mark several times - but I have not had the issue you mention since I:
  1. Set the proximity distance for waypoints to a practical distance (50m)
  2. Created a start line waypoint (mid-line)
  3. Added the start line waypoint as the first waypoint of each course
  4. Added each mark/waypoint in order (including any repititions, and a Finish line mid-point) to each course
  5. 'Start Navigation' of the chosen course whilst crossing the start line AND within the specified proximity circle of the start line waypoint (If I miss doing this because I'm too busy at the start - or just plain forget! - , I use 'Goto' from the Active Route page to jump to the first mark/waypoint to get the Route navigation back on track)
  6. Ensure that I pass within the proximity circle of the each waypoint when rounding that mark. (If this doesn't happen because I went really wide of the mark, I use 'Goto' from the Active Route page to jump to the next mark/waypoint to get the Route navigation back on track)

Having done all the above, the 72H switches religiously to the next mark/waypoint as I either pass the mark or exit its proximity circle (I can't recall which)

You shouldn't need to do the following:
Quote:
I now have each mark position stored as different waypoints, ie mark A is stored as A1, A2 & A3 and use this within the route.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SinbadOz
Perth, Western Australia
I read that drinking can kill you - so I stopped reading!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2012

No Drama is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that very similar to what we have been doing. My proximity is set lower but does beep at each mark showing that we have reached the mark. Will try it set to 50m.

What software version are you running?

I originally had ver 2.5, but Gramin support got me to rollback to 2.4 and then I couldn't get back to 2.5 as the website didn't know that 2.5 was realeased. This was late last year and I haven't tried to update the software version since.

Old 04-17-2012

SinbadOz is on a distinguished road

The 72H I just bought is running v2.6 - but I haven't been on the water with it yet. The one I have used whilst sailing (another skipper's) is a couple of years old, so expect its software is an earlier version.

SinbadOz
Perth, Western Australia
I read that drinking can kill you - so I stopped reading!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.