Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-21-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
NEXUS Instruments - Experience with?

Does anyone has experience with Nexus instruments and auto pilot?

http://www.nexusmarine.se/Default.aspx?epslanguage=EN
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I have a Nexus auto-pilot control head that I "married" to my Benmar drive about twenty years ago. It's still serving me well. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-21-2011

How!! 20 years ago and still working Great.

I was hoping to have information on the new models. I hope they are so resilent as the old ones.

Thanks for the imput
Old 07-21-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
I have a suite of Nexus NX2 instruments networked with the FDX server -- my set up includes two Multi control display units, a digital wind display unit, with wired wind, depth, and speed transducers, as well as the HPC compass, and an MOB button. I like the system very much, I have found it to be very powerful, providing access to a lot of useful data. I am contemplating adding the analog steer pilot instrument and perhaps a navigator or another multi instrument...

I do not have any experience with the Nexus autopilot; rather I have a Raymarine SmartPilot X5 tillerpilot GP, to which I feed wind data from the Nexus FDX server -- you can program what NMEA sentences the Nexus server sends out, which allows you to send wind data multiple times per cycle, and that seems to work fairly well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 07-21-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
There was a Nexus multi (wind, depth, temp, speed) instrument on the boat when we bought it. We added a dedicated wind instrument and another multi at the helm. The new instruments matched right up with the old and work great. Nexus is owned by ComNav and they make the best autopilot around (favorite of the fishing fleet in PNW and Alaska). I'm going to install one to replace the old Autohelm 7000 that is dying on me.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Nexus is owned by ComNav
I don't think that is correct, at least not anymore, although there is a relationship -- on ComNav's site, they say they build some electronics for other labels, including Nexus.

Old 07-22-2011

Thanks guys. Almost all boats here come from the factory with Raymarine and some with Simrad but Salona has made a deal with them and now all Salonas come with Nexus instruments and auto pilot (but they can mount Raymarine if it is prefered). I had little information about the Nexus and you have helped a lot.

Catamout can you explain why do you want to mount an analog steer pilot in a Raymarine autopilot? I am not criticizing, I don't know the system, just trying to understand the advantages (I am sure you have a good reason).

I think Nexus has something to do with Silva, the old Swedish brand. They offer also what I find to be the better binoculars for a price. Very good quality at a not very high price for that quality. When I bought them I have tested them against some Steiner models (2 or 3 times more expensive). Guess what, with low light (interior of a big boat fair) the Silva (now called Eterna) were sharper and more luminous. I was so surprised I bought them on the spot. I had the previous model.

http://www.nexusmarine.se/templates/Products____40.aspx?epslanguage=EN&productId={E47C44B1-7FAE-492F-9B08-A1DE8A92BF03}

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-22-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Cata- my mistake, I assumed that ComNav had bought Nexus because they build them and the covers for the new Nexus instruments that I bought said ComNav on them. Interesting. I wonder if a Nexus autopilot is actually a ComNav then?

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-22-2011
Junior Passage Maker

mikefossl is on a distinguished road
My boat came with a full Nexus suite of instruments including multicontrols, wind instrument, multicenter (chart plotter), fluxgate compass and autopilot. They were about 10 years old when I got the boat and had spent all this time in California and Mexico. The log transducer was no longer working and the wind transducer gave up the ghost a few months later. I bought a server upgrade kit which included a new FX Server, new multicontol instrument and a combined depth and log transducer. I also sent the wind instrument to a guy in Florida for repair (at the time ComNav had given up supporting Nexus but I think that has changed).

Overall I'm happy with the set-up. I've connected the server to my laptop running the Nexus racing software an that gives lots of control over the server. The system has been reliable although it is sensitive to the quality of the connections. The down side is support is limited. Very few cruisers use Nexus and there are a limited number of places to get service. I have a long standing issue logged with Comnav where whenever I connect my wind instrument, the log stops working. It's been unplugged for a couple of years and at some point I'll pick up the problem and try and get it resolved.

I'm currently reconfiguring the electronics, connecting my HDS Chartplotter, Icom AIS and Standard Horizon VHF into the mix.
Old 07-23-2011

Nexus was a part of Silva, but was spun off as an independent entity owned, at least in part, by Dean Baker of America's Cup fame. They seem to be focused on instruments for the yacht racing market, competing against B&G, Ockham, NKE... more so than then the general boating market, which is dominated by Raymarine. ComNav makes parts for them, and was the North American distributor, but about two years ago, Nexus switched to Ocean Equipment as their North American distributor in an effort to get more widespread distribution over here (e.g. Defender now carries the basic consumer-grade Nexus outfits).

PCP, the Nexus Steer Pilot is just an instrument display with an analog needle that points which way you want to steer - it can be configured to be driven by compass heading, wind angle, GPS track, etc... I think there are some other things it can do, too. It has nothing to do with the autopilot system.